Snowfall brings down mercury in KashmirOctober 8th, 2011 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 8 (IANS) Overnight snowfall in the higher reaches of surrounding mountains set off cold winds in the the Kashmir Valley Saturday, bringing down temperatures and promising a cold winter ahead, an official said.
In Srinagar, the minimum temperature was recorded at 9.7 degrees Celsius.
In Qazigund, the mercury slipped to 9.2 degrees, 6 in south Kashmir’s Pahalgam hill station, 1.4 in north Kashmir’s Gulmarg ski resort and 9.4 in south Kashmir’s Kokernag.
“The minimum temperature in Gulmarg is two degrees below average because of the snowfall,” said an official of the local weather office here.
The very sight of the snow-clad mountain tops made some locals take out their winter clothes.
“I have started wearing the ‘Pheren’ (tweed over-garment) and children are already switching over to the woollens,” said Abdul Majid, 54.
“The first snowfall on the mountains indicate the soothing heat of autumn is now short-lived,” said the resident of north Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.
- Snowfall in hills sends chilly winds into Valley - Oct 23, 2011
- Winter knocking at Kashmir's door - Oct 22, 2011
- Rain, snow bring down temperatures in Kashmir Valley - Apr 11, 2011
- Spring rain in Kashmir, farmers elated - Apr 11, 2012
- Night temperatures likely to fall further in Kashmir - Nov 22, 2011
- Kashmir freezes over, Pahalgam minus 16.1 - Jan 16, 2011
- Srinagar sees coldest day at minus 5.6 degrees - Dec 19, 2010
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Gulmarg shivers at minus two degrees Celsius - Apr 14, 2012
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Srinagar shivers at minus 5.4 degrees, Leh at minus 23 - Jan 05, 2011
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16 - Dec 28, 2011
- Valley, Ladakh in for another cold wave spell - Dec 21, 2011
- Snow and rain to lash Kashmir Valley - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: autumn, cold winds, cold winter, first snowfall, garment, gulmarg ski resort, kashmir, kashmir valley, local weather, locals, mercury, minimum temperature, north kashmir, overnight snowfall, pahalgam, south kashmir, srinagar, tweed, weather office, winter clothes