Snow, rain continue in HimachalFebruary 14th, 2012 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 14 (IANS) Heavy snowfall in the higher reaches and intermittent rain in low and mid hills of Himachal Pradesh continued for the third day Tuesday, forcing authorities to close schools in some areas.
“High-altitude areas of Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Chamba Kullu and Shimla districts again experienced heavy snow during the past 24 hours,” a spokesperson for the meteorological office here said.
Keylong, the headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, experienced about 7 cm of snow. It recorded a low of minus 8.4 degrees Celsius.
The picturesque tourist resort of Manali recorded 15 cm of snow. It saw the night temperature dip to minus 1 degree.
The road link to Manali from Kullu town, which snapped due to snow Monday, was restored Tuesday.
However, state capital Shimla, which saw a low of 2.2 degrees, recorded 2.2 cm of snow.
The tourist spots of Kufri in the periphery of Shimla and Narkanda, about 65 km from Shimla experienced good spells of snow. Kalpa in Kinnaur district, which recorded 7.5 cm of snow Monday, recorded the minimum temperature at minus 2.6 degrees, while it was 4.7 degrees in Dharamsala with a rainfall of 10.8 mm.
Saloni in Chamba district experienced the highest rainfall of 41 mm in the state.
Meanwhile, in view of continued chilly conditions, the government has extended the vacation in all schools in Shimla district and Lahaul Valley in Lahaul and Spiti district till Feb 16, an official said.
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Fresh snow in Himachal - Apr 11, 2012
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- Himachal may experience heavy snow, rain - Mar 01, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: chilly conditions, dharamsala, heavy snow, heavy snowfall, intermittent rain, kalpa, kufri, kullu, lahaul and spiti district, meteorological office, mid hills, minimum temperature, narkanda, night temperature, periphery, saloni, shimla, spiti, tourist resort, tourist spots