Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11November 11th, 2011 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Manali (Himachal Pradesh), Nov 11 (IANS) It was 11.11.11 and the thick blanket of snow covering the hills surrounding this picturesque Himalayan town made it all the more perfect for tourists looking to make Friday a memorable day.
“The hills overlooking Manali have been experiencing mild to moderate snow,” a met department official said.
Rohtang Pass, located at an altitude of 13,050 feet and 52 km from here, has accumulated a fair amount of snow.
“There are chances that the hills would experience a mild spell of snow Friday too. After that the weather would be clear,” he added.
As news of the snowfall flashed in the plains, tourists started descending on Manali to have a glimpse of snow in nearby hills.
“We are hopeful of getting a record footfall this weekend. A good number has already started arriving after snow in the higher reaches,” Manali District Tourism Officer Balbir Thakur told IANS.
“The white hills are a charming sight,” Abhilasha Singh, a tourist from Delhi, remarked while watching the peaks from Manali.
Peaks overlooking other popular tourist resorts like Kalpa, Sangla, Dharamsala and Palampur have also got fresh snow.
“The higher reaches in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Chamba districts witnessed moderate snowfall during the past 24 hours. Such conditions would continue,” the official added.
The state’s lower areas, including Dharamsala, Shimla, Solan, Nahan, Chamba and Mandi, have been experiencing cold conditions.
Manali, which saw 1 mm of rain, Friday recorded a low of 9.4 degrees Celsius, while it was 13.1 degrees in Shimla, 7.5 degrees in Kalpa, and 13.7 degrees in Dharamsala.
- Himachal's snowy peaks pull in tourists - Dec 12, 2011
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Snowfall in Manali, hopes up for white V-Day - Feb 13, 2011
- Head to Manali for a white V-Day (Lead) - Feb 13, 2011
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Snow-clad mountains luring tourists to Himachal - Nov 19, 2010
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Still snowing tourists in Himachal hills - Mar 25, 2011
- Hills overlooking Manali get first snowfall - Sep 14, 2010
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Snowfall continues in Himachal hills - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: amount of snow, blanket of snow, chamba, cold conditions, dharamsala, district tourism, footfall, fresh snow, himachal pradesh, kullu, manali, mandi, moderate snow, nearby hills, snowfall, solan, spiti, thick blanket, tourism officer, tourist resorts