Smuggler arrested with 14 kg heroin in PunjabJanuary 11th, 2011 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar (Punjab), Jan 11 (IANS) A man was arrested here with 14 kg of heroin worth Rs.70 crore, police said Tuesday. A pistol and some cartridges were also recovered from him. Sukhbir Singh alias Sukha was arrested from the Chheharta area here Monday. However, his accomplice Angrez Singh managed to escape, police said. They described Sukhbir Singh as a notorious smuggler.
“Working on a tip-off, we laid a trap and arrested the accused. We have recovered 14 kg heroin, which was hidden in the bag of fertilizers, a China-made pistol, two magazines and 12 cartridges from his possession,” senior police officer Manminder Singh said here.
“This contraband was smuggled into India from Pakistan through the Gurdaspur border on Jan 9. Our hunt is on to nab the other accused. We are also interrogating Sukhbir to know about his other links in Punjab,” he added.
Police sources said that the confiscated heroin is worth Rs.70 crore (Rs.5 crore per kilogram) in the international market.
- One held with Rs.10.45 lakh in fake currency - Apr 16, 2011
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Two held with 6 kg of heroin in Punjab - Apr 17, 2010
- No one cures Punjab's drug problem (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- 75 kg of heroin seized in Punjab - Apr 06, 2011
- Two students held with Rs.1 crore heroin - Apr 03, 2011
- Indian soldier held with drugs - May 17, 2011
- Heroin worth Rs.35 crore seized in Punjab - Sep 25, 2009
- Terrorist-turned-robber nabbed in Punjab - Oct 26, 2010
- Two Babbar Khalsa militants held in Punjab - Jun 13, 2010
- 27 kg heroin seized near India-Pakistan border - Oct 06, 2011
- Drugs worth Rs.8 crore seized, two held in Bengal - Feb 07, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- Three held with drugs worth Rs.40 crore - Jul 10, 2011