Smuggled jumbos captured in Tripura, Bangladeshi shot deadAugust 22nd, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Aug 22 (IANS) Border Security Force (BSF) troopers gunned down a Bangladeshi national in Tripura and captured two elephants he and his associates were allegedly trying to smuggle into India, officials said Friday.The incident occurred in Kailashahar in north Tripura, some 175 km from the state capital Agartala. The BSF troopers shot dead a Bangladeshi national who was trying to smuggle elephants into India. His two companions managed to escape.
“The Bangladeshi nationals along with two elephants entered Indian territory and were challenged by the BSF troopers late Thursday night. Two Bangladeshis managed to escape leaving behind the elephants and their slain associate,” a police spokesman said.
According to police the elephants were being taken for sale in Assam.
- Bangladesh Border Guard held after killing Indian - Jan 20, 2012
- Bangladesh border guard held after killing Indian (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detained - Sep 03, 2012
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- Three Indians crash into Bangladesh territory, held - Dec 27, 2011
- 12 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 14, 2011
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- 14 Bangladeshis arrested in Tripura - Sep 03, 2011
- Trooper, two men arrested with heroin - Dec 30, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010