Smriti takes big lead at Women’s Pro Golf Tour eventMarch 29th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 29 (IANS) Smriti Mehra shot a bogey-free five-under 65 to open up a seven-shot lead at the end of the second round in a Hero Women’s Professional Golf Tour event here Thursday.
Smriti, who has already won six of the previous 14 events held on the Tour, carded a 65 and is now three-under 137, while the next best placed player was Saaniya Sharma (70) at 144. The tournament is the 15th and final leg of the Tour.
Nalini Singh Siwach and Shraddhanjali Singh, who were tied for lead after the first round, fell off the pace. Nalini added a 73 and was at 145 in third place while Shraddhanjali carded 74 to be 146. Neha Tripathi (76) was fifth at 149, and three behind her at 152 was Nikki Ponappa (73).
Smriti had steady pars for the first six holes and then sank her first birdie on the seventh and even when she turned at one-under there was no inkling of the birdie-spree on the back nine. She birdied the par-3 10th and then added further birdies on 14th, 15th and 18th to finish at 65.
Saaniya had two birdies and two bogeys on front nine and then one birdie and one bogey on the back journey for a 70.
Nalini had three bogeys on the front but caught up on the back-stretch with two birdies and two bogeys on the second nine for a card of 73.
A win in the last leg would mean seven victories for Smriti on the Tour. Smriti has accumulated Rs.7,32,100 while Nalini has Rs.6,63,400.
- Smriti wins seventh Hero Women's Pro Tour title - Mar 30, 2012
- Nalini Singh starts well, takes three-shot lead over Smriti - Sep 19, 2012
- Smriti holds slender lead over Nalini - Sep 20, 2012
- Vani Kapoor leads by three strokes - Sep 04, 2012
- Nalini ends title drought - Sep 21, 2012
- Smriti fires 66 to win golf title - Aug 30, 2012
- Golf: Sharmila ahead by two strokes - Aug 22, 2012
- Debutant Vani snatches lead in Hero Women's golf - Aug 23, 2012
- Sharmila maintains lead at Hero women's professional golf - Aug 24, 2011
- Vani takes four-stroke lead in women's golf - Sep 05, 2012
- Smriti Mehra takes women's golf title - Jan 15, 2010
- Smriti, Rhea and Sharmila start well at European golf pre-qualifiers - Jan 09, 2012
- Sharmila takes lead in season opener of women's golf - Aug 04, 2010
- Saaniya in lead, Sharmila trails by two shots in WPGTI golf - Sep 15, 2010
- Nalini set to break Sharmila's winning streak - Sep 16, 2010