Smashed windows, burnt car and barricades at blast siteFebruary 14th, 2012 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) Windows and mirrors shattered, its bonnet uprooted, engine burnt black and its colour unrecognizable… the Toyota Innova car of the Israeli embassy was badly damaged in a suspected bomb attack shortly after it left the embassy premises.
The car, with registration number 109 CD 35, was waiting at a red light at the Safdarjung Road-Aurangzeb Road crossing, when a biker drove up, placed an explosive device on it and sped away, according to eyewitnesses. Shortly after, the car went up in flames.
A 42-year-old Israeli staffer, the wife of the defence attache, was badly injured in the blast, and the Indian driver suffered facial injuries. The incident took place just past 3 p.m. and close to the 7, Race Course Road residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The rear side of the Innova car was badly burnt, and large oil smudges of spilled oil could be seen on the road. A red Tata Indica, driving alongside, also suffered the brunt of the explosion and was damaged. Two of its occupants, both Indians, suffered minor injuries.
The glass from the smashed window panes littered the road.
Commuters driving on Aurangzeb Road were shocked and horrified to see the car go up in flames.
Four other vehicles near the Innova suffered damage in the explosion.
The commuters managed to drag out the victims from the cars.
Delhi Police team, including bomb disposal squad, Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) team and fire brigade, reached the spot within a few minutes of the incident.
Yellow barricades were put up by police for around 100 metres on Aurangzeb Road near the site of blast.
Around 100 police were present at the site to prevent people getting near. Media persons were there in sizeable numbers.
- Explosion in Israel embassy car, four injured (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Explosion in Israel embassy car, two hurt (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Bustle back at Israeli embassy car blast site - Feb 14, 2012
- Four injured in Israeli car blast: Home ministry - Feb 13, 2012
- Blast in Israel embassy car injures four, Iran blamed (Intro Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- CCTV footage from area near blast site being collected: Police - Feb 14, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen hand in bomb attack being probed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Police hunting for biker in Israel embassy car blast case (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Car blast: abandoned bike found in south Delhi - Feb 15, 2012
- Two people could be involved in magnetic bomb blast - Feb 14, 2012
- NIA team inspects blast site - Feb 14, 2012
- Special Cell to probe Israeli car blast: Delhi Police - Feb 13, 2012
- Israel embassy security beefed up - Feb 15, 2012
- Didn't suspect anybody was following: Israeli embassy car driver - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: bomb attack, bomb disposal squad, burnt black, cfsl, defence attache, facial injuries, forensic science laboratory, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan singh, media persons, other vehicles, police team, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sizeable numbers, smashed windows, spilled oil, toyota innova, window panes