Slowdown may impact social sector allocations: Plan panelMarch 2nd, 2009 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 2 (IANS) The economic slowdown will impact allocations to social sectors in the 11th Five-Year Plan, said a top Planning Commission official here Monday.
“The allocations were proposed in the 11th Plan on the assumption that the economy would grow at 9 percent. The economic slowdown would impact on the government’s revenues, which might reduce the allocations to the social sectors,” Planning Commisssion member Abhijit Sen said.
In his address at a conference organised by the state chapter of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Sen said: “The government accords priority for the social sectors and the XI Plan aims are inclusive growth.”
Releasing a vision document titled “Tamil Nadu@75 The 6 Transformational Ideas”, the economist said the state has achieved balanced growth in social as well as industrial sectors, as against some other Indian states excelling in either one or the other.
Said S. Ramasundaram, chairman and managing director of Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corp: “We are looking at two locations - Hosur and Ennore - for locating an aerospace park in the state.”
According to him, the government is trying to improve air connectivity out of Madurai so as to attract investments that would spur industrialisation in the southern districts of Tamil Nadu.
- New industrial policy soon, says Jayalalithaa - Jan 10, 2012
- Tamil Nadu announces freebies, welfare schemes - Jun 03, 2011
- Japanese firms to increase investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 25, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to strengthen roads for Toshiba JSW Turbine's project - Jan 12, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's three new SEZs eye Rs.3,400 crore investments - Feb 19, 2011
- Poverty not declining in Bihar, despite high growth - Feb 20, 2012
- Resolve Kudankulam row politically: Kalam to Manmohan - Jan 14, 2012
- 'Smart cities way forward to housing for all' - Aug 04, 2012
- Karnataka economy to dip to 6.4 percent - Mar 21, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to focus on agriculture, manufacturing - Oct 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu expects 10 percent growth in 2010-11 - Feb 05, 2011
- Trade ties with India to be strengthened: Japanese minister - Jan 22, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to sign MoUs with Japanese firms: Jayalalithaa - Feb 12, 2012
- Tamil Nadu plans new industrial, land takeover policies - Aug 04, 2011
- 'Global economic slowdown delays South Korean recovery' - Sep 03, 2012