Slim’s family dismisses report of Honda Formula 1 purchaseDecember 29th, 2008 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Dec 29 (DPA) The son of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim dismissed a report that his father was interested in buying the Honda Formula One team for the symbolic price of $1, said media reports.Mexican daily Reforma reported Sunday that it had received a statement dismissing the story from Carlos Slim Domit, son of the billionaire and second richest man in the world.
The Italian newspaper La Stampa reported earlier Sunday that Slim would have to invest some 300 million euros ($421 million) to finance the team next season.
Honda announced earlier this month it was pulling out of F1 because of the escalating crisis in the automobile industry.
La Stampa reported that a condition of any buy-out was that Bruno Senna join the team alongside Britain’s Jenson Button. Team-mate Rubens Barrichello of Brazil would thus be left without a drive.
Slim, who owns three-quarters of the Latin American telecommunications market with his Telmex group, visited the Honda racing facilities in Brackley, Britain, before Christmas.
Senna is nephew of the three-time Brazilian world champion Ayrton Senna who was killed in a crash at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994.
- Mexican phone giant delists from foreign exchanges - Dec 21, 2011
- Movie tribute for Formula One legend Ayrton Senna - Mar 25, 2011
- I've stopped being fussy, says world's wealthiest person - Mar 30, 2011
- Son of world's richest man marries - Oct 12, 2010
- Carlos Slim's firm to acquire US company - May 11, 2012
- The importance of numbers in Formula One - Oct 25, 2011
- Di Grassi to test drive for Honda Formula One team - Nov 08, 2008
- World's richest man to invest $1.5 bn in Argentina - Apr 17, 2011
- Meet the world's richest man who aims for a simple life - Jul 18, 2010
- Ecclestone rules out any chance of successful Murdoch F1 bid - Apr 30, 2011
- Forbes says Gates no longer the world's richest - Mar 11, 2010
- Mallya interested in buying Honda F1 outfit? - Dec 22, 2008
- Honda team says no comment on management buy-out reports - Mar 02, 2009
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- Carlos Slim launches new TV channel on Internet - Jul 18, 2012