Slim, compact ID cards for Delhi votersOctober 16th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 16 (IANS) They look like bank credit cards and can fit snugly in your wallet. Delhiites are set to get compact voter identity cards before the Nov 29 assembly elections.”The new voter identity cards are compact and slim compared to the earlier cards that were big and wide,” Joint Chief Electoral Officer, Delhi, Uday Bakshi, told IANS.
“The change has been brought only this year and now every voter in the city will get this card,” Bakshi added.
Asked for the reason behind the change, he explained: “We just wanted the voter cards to become compact and manageable.”
“The people can easily keep it in their wallets or pockets. The size now would be 9 X 6 centimetres,” Bakshi added.
The hologram on the card has also been changed.
“Earlier the hologram was of Delhi administration but now the hologram will have the national emblem,” Bakshi added.
No other changes have been introduced in the voter cards. There will be no change in the photograph, it will remain black and white.
All those issued the new cards will have to return the old ones. The distribution process of the voter card is expected to start in the next few days.
“The distribution will start in the next few days and it will take at least 15-20 days to distribute them,” said Delhi’s Chief Electoral Officer Satbir Silas Bedi.
Nearly 6.5 million cards will be distributed this year before the assembly elections. Names of around 10.9 million people are registered in the capital’s voter list.
The photo electoral rolls for the newly delimited 70 assembly constituencies have also been published.
The assembly elections are scheduled for Nov 29 and the counting of votes will take place Dec 8.
- Rs.20 crore unaccounted cash seized in Tamil Nadu - Mar 26, 2011
- Making Bangalore's graduates vote (Karnataka Newsletter) - Apr 29, 2012
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011
- Number of voters up by 2 percent in Bengal - Jan 05, 2011
- Kalam, Dhoni to urge young voters to register - Jan 24, 2012
- Vote without fear, Election Commission tells electorate - Apr 12, 2011
- Don't have photo ID card, show arms license to vote - Nov 11, 2008
- 'Photo voters card should be produced for voting' - Mar 28, 2011
- President Patil expresses concern over use of money power in elections - Jan 25, 2011
- Delhi court issues summons to MCD councillor - Jun 15, 2012
- Election Commission satisfied with West Bengal poll preparations - Jul 07, 2010
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- High court gives nod for Delhi gurdwara polls - Mar 01, 2012
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Over a million new voters enrolled in Kerala - Jan 24, 2011