Slain Delhi cop Sharma’s name recommended for Ashok ChakraJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) The name of Delhi Police ispector M.C. Sharma, who was gunned down in a shootout with suspected terrorists of Indian Mujahideen last year in the capital, has been recommended for the Ashok Chakra award, a senior police officer said here Friday.“Sharma was very dedicated and had an exemplary record. He was a man of rare courage and dedication. We have recommended his name for Ashok Chakra to the government,” Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal said here at the annual press meet Friday.
Ashok Chakra is highest gallantry award given to soldiers and security officials during peace time.
Asked why no rewards or promotions were given to other officers who were involved in the shootout yet, Dadwal said the police were waiting for the decision of the home ministry.
On the progress of Mehrauli blast that killed three people in September last year, Dadwal said: “It was a matter of concern and my men are working on the case. But as of now we cannot disclose any details.”
- Civil gallantry awardees to get free AC train travel - Jul 24, 2012
- Major Laishram Jyotin Singh conferred Ashok Chakra award posthumously for role in Afghanistan - Aug 14, 2010
- Medal for locating Arunachal CM's crashed chopper - Jan 26, 2012
- Delhi Police rewards woman for foiling robbery - Aug 12, 2010
- Five army men named for Kirti Chakra, 21 to get Shaurya Chakra - Jan 25, 2011
- Manu Sharma granted parole, barred from nightclubs - Nov 16, 2011
- Last rites of India's oldest-surviving Ashok Chakra recipient held - Feb 15, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel slams staged shootouts - Jul 19, 2012
- Three Shaurya Chakras among I-Day gallantry awards - Aug 15, 2011
- Rs.25 lakh aid given to slain Delhi cop's widow - Oct 23, 2009
- One Ashok Chakra, 6 Kirti Chakras announced on R-Day eve (Lead,with images) - Jan 25, 2010
- President confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 09, 2010
- Lt. Navdeep Singh wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Tears as Navdeep Singh gets posthumous Ashok Chakra (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Former police informer booked for fake shootout - Apr 23, 2010