Skeleton found in Mumbai jailDecember 4th, 2010 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 4 (IANS) A human skeleton was found in the Arthur Road Jail here in November when the maintenance work was under progress, an official said Saturday.
“The skeleton was found on Nov 22 while some digging work was going on in barrack No.1 of the jail,” the official said.
“The skeleton has been sent for forensic tests. We are waiting for more details,” he added. Barrack No.1 has only male prisoners.
Maharashtra opposition leader Eknath Khadse and Home Minister R.R. Patil visited to inspect the jail Nov 23 following com oplaints of various shortcomings, when they also briefly met Pakistani terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab.
Situated in a congested residential area of south-central Mumbai, the Arthur Road Jail was constructed in 1926 and is the largest and among the oldest prisons in the state, holding around 2,000 inmates at a time.
Gangsters Abu Salem and Mustafa Dossa are also the inmates of the jail.
- 'Kasab appears resigned to his fate' - Nov 23, 2010
- Abu Salem stabbed by Dawood aide in jail, now stable (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Maharashtra Home Minister Patil meets Kasab in Arthur Road Jail - Nov 23, 2010
- Man in egg cell who costs India high - Nov 25, 2010
- Salem injuries self-inflicted, Dossa tells cops - Jul 28, 2010
- Gangster Abu Salem shifted to Thane jail - Jul 28, 2010
- Abu Salem attacked in jail by Dawood henchman - Jul 24, 2010
- Bangalore, Pune blasts accused murdered in jail (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Abu Salem's lawyer to take on minister over allegations of luxurious treatment - Jul 29, 2010
- One injured in Mumbai jail gang-war - Sep 25, 2010
- Salem's lawyer to file complaint Maharashtra Home Minister - Jul 28, 2010
- Salem shifted to Raigad jail after attack on him (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- After attack, Abu Salem shifted to Raigad jail - Jul 25, 2010
- Mumbai Crime Branch to enquire into attack on Abu Salem - Jul 25, 2010
- Maharashtra ignoring Maoist menace: BJP - Jul 05, 2011