Six trawlers, 50 Goan fishermen missing in cycloneNovember 13th, 2009 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 12 (IANS) A senior Goa fisheries department official said Thursday that six trawlers, one canoe and more than 50 fishermen were missing in the aftermath of Cyclone Phyan, that passed through the Arabian sea off Goa.
“We are in contact with jetties in neighbouring states to see if trawlers and fishermen registered in Goa got caught in the storm and were drifted there,” N.K. Verlekar said.
Meanwhile, in a press note here, the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) gave a different figure of the missing trawlers and fishermen. It said that five fishing trawlers from Goa carrying a crew of 40 fishermen were still missing.
“A total of three coast guard ships, a coast guard fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter have continued with their search off-shore as well as onshore. The search will continue till tomorrow,” the ICG has said in a press note.
- 68 fishermen still missing after Cyclone Phyan: Goa chief minister - Nov 13, 2009
- Search still on to locate missing fishermen in Goa - Nov 12, 2009
- Cyclone effect: Trawlers missing off Goa coast - Nov 11, 2009
- Some fishing boats found in cyclone-hit sea, 60 still missing (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- 80 fishing boats, 800 men missing in cyclone-hit Arabian Sea (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- 45 Goa fishermen missing after Cyclone Phyan - Nov 12, 2009
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
- 60 Bengal fishermen still missing - Jun 18, 2011
- Offshore patrol vessel joins Indian Coast Guard's Eastern Command fleet - May 20, 2010
- Book weatherman for failing to give storm warning: Goa BJP - Nov 17, 2009
- Contact established with more missing Tamil Nadu fishermen - Nov 15, 2009
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- New Coast Guard station in Ratnagiri - Mar 25, 2011
- Singapore ship suspected in Kerala boat accident - Mar 04, 2012
- Third coast guard station in Andhra Pradesh opened - Jun 18, 2012