Six top Gujarat cops to be quizzed in Sohrabuddin killingApril 30th, 2010 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, April 30 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Friday summoned six senior officers of the Gujarat police, both serving and retired, for questioning in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh killing case.
The six Indian Police Service (IPS) officers are former additional director generals of police (DGPs) O.P. Mathur and G.C.Raigar, ADG (Criminal Investigation Department) V.V.Rabari, Rajkot Police Commissioner Geetha Johri, Police Training School (Chowki) principal Rajnish Rai (holding the rank of deputy inspector general), and Superintendent of Police Anti-Terrorist Squad G.L. Singhal.
All the six have been asked to present themselves before the CBI between May 3 and 7.
Mathur was looking after the CID (crime) when Rai arrested the three IPS officers - D.G.Vanzara and SPs Rajkumar Pandian and M.N.Dinesh (of Rajasthan’s Udaipur) in connection with the fake gun battle killing of Sheikh. Mathur had succeeded Raigar to the post.
Subsequently under Supreme Court directions, the case was handed over to Johri. But unhappy with her handling, the apex court finally handed over the case to the CBI, leading to the arrest Wednesday of the fourth IPS officer, Abhay Chudasama, who is posted as deputy commissioner of police in Ahmedabad.
Johri and Rai have already been informally quizzed by the CBI and have now been summoned formally.
According to highly placed sources, a key piece of evidence - the CD carrying the details of calls made by Vanzara and other key officers during the period that Sohrabuddin was picked up by police - was made available to the CBI by Rai and led to Chudasama’s arrest.
The crucial CD was missing from CID records but Rai reportedly made available a copy, the sources said.
Meanwhile, two policemen, who served as drivers of Chudasama, have gone missing. The two had not maintained the logbook of his official vehicle which could have provided information of his movements to the CBI.
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI likely to seek 3 months extension from apex court - Jul 29, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI summons former Gujarat DGP - Jul 29, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI to quiz Narendra Modi? - Jul 29, 2010
- CBI summons IPS officer Geeta Johri in Sohrabuddin case - Jul 29, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: top cop Johri appears before CBI - Aug 26, 2010
- CBI claims politically motivated: Amit Shah - Nov 26, 2010
- Court seeks Gujarat, Shah's response on CBI's custody plea - Aug 05, 2010
- CBI arrests Ahmedabad cop for Sohrabuddin killing (Second Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- CBI arrests Ahmedabad cop for Sohrabuddin shootout (Lead) - Apr 28, 2010
- Administrative tribunal gives relief to Gujarat cop - Apr 21, 2011
- Sohrabuddin case: Amin's approver plea to come up Nov 15 - Nov 02, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Supreme Court asks for call details (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Sohrabuddin's brother wants further probe after cop's testimony - Sep 15, 2011
- Jethmalani to plead Shah's case, former cop turns approver (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Gujarat's top cop wants apex court remark against her deleted - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chudasama, commissioner of police, criminal investigation department, deputy inspector general, director generals, fake gun, gujarat police, indian police service, ips officer, ips officers, mathur, pandian, police training school, rabari, rajkumar, rajnish, sohrabuddin sheikh