Six protestors shot dead in Dominican RepublicApril 10th, 2008 - 4:55 pm ICT by admin
Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic), April 10 (IANS) At least six people have been killed and 19 arrested when police opened fire on protestors during nationwide demonstrations against price rise in the Dominican Republic, EFE news agency reported Thursday. The police in the northern city of Santiago said six people were killed in clashes Wednesday and three officers were injured.
The Alternative Social Forum (FSA), comprising dozens of local organisations, announced a 24-hour general strike Wednesday demanding the government hold the price line and increase wages. The transportation sector was worst hit.
The FSA has been demanding a 40 percent hike in wages as well as reduction in the prices of fuel, food, medicine and electricity.
They were also demanding houses for people who lost their homes in last year’s tropical storms Noel and Olga.
This was the third nationwide protest staged by the FSA against the government of President Leonel Fernandez, who will be seeking re-election May 16.
- Nine die in Dominican Republic fire - Nov 26, 2010
- Diplomat murdered in Dominican Republic - Apr 18, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Jolie meets president of Dominican Republic - Feb 11, 2010
- Woman killed over negative comments on Facebook - Oct 11, 2011
- Dominican Republic seizes 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Mar 26, 2012
- Two Dominicans wanted for 36 murders held - Apr 23, 2010
- 10 dead as Dominican boat capsizes - Feb 05, 2012
- Angelina Jolie visits Haitian refugees in Dominican Republic - Feb 09, 2010
- Journalist slain in Dominican Republic - Aug 03, 2011
- Dominican kills men who stole his dog - Sep 22, 2010
- 6,000 affected with dengue in Dominican Republic - Jul 27, 2010
- Deposed Miss Dominican Republic apologises - Apr 27, 2012
- Honduras president-elect to meet ousted Zelaya - Dec 12, 2009
- Thief lynched in Dominican Republic - Aug 12, 2009