Six prisoners attempt suicide in Bihar jailMay 14th, 2012 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 14 (IANS) Six undertrials in a Bihar jail attempted suicide Monday to protest against alleged high handedness by jail authorities, police said.
According to police, authorities at the Phulwari Sharif jail in the state capital had shifted some prisoners to different wards which sparked a protest among them Sunday evening.
The prisoners started shouting slogans against the transfers, forcing guards to use batons to contain them, a jail official told IANS.
“Nearly a dozen prisoners were injured in the incident,” the official said.
To protest against the baton charge by jail authorities, the six inmates cut their veins using a blade on Monday morning, the official added.
“All of them have been admitted to the hospital in jail,” he said.
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- 12 prisoners booked for attack on Hyderabad jail officials - Feb 01, 2011
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Tihar warms up to its inmates - Dec 24, 2011
- Administrative lapses led to doctor's lynching: Nitish - May 31, 2011
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Four injured as undertrials clash in Delhi court - Jun 09, 2011
- Prisoners extend support to Binayak Sen in Bihar - Jan 01, 2011
- Prisoners in Bihar celebrate Chhath - Nov 13, 2010
- Seven prisoners booked for lynching doctor in Bihar - May 30, 2011
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Seven prisoners booked for lynching doctor in Bihar (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- With hand fractured, Madhu Koda continues protests - Nov 01, 2011
- Mumbai jail's women inmates go on hunger strike - Dec 26, 2011
- Jail inmates' allegations incorrect: Tihar chief - Dec 22, 2010