Six policemen booked for assaulting BJP MP (Lead)October 4th, 2008 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 4 (IANS) Six policemen were charged with attempt to murder after Virender Kumar Khatik, MP from the Madhya Pradesh’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), was beaten up during an anti-encroachment drive in the state’s Sagar district, a police official said Saturday.Khatik, a three-time MP, received eight stitches on the head after being repeatedly hit Friday in Sagar district’s Bina town by policemen who were angered by stone pelting by a group of shopkeepers affected by the demolition drive.
“An attempt to murder case has been registered in Bina Kotwali police station against Bina’s GRP (Government Railway Police) station house officer S.S. Badgurjar, RPF (Railway Protection Force) inspector Vivek Sharma and four other RPF policemen,” S.K. Raut, Madhya Pradesh director general of police, told IANS.
RPF commandant Sarika Mohan said that five police personnel have been sent to the police lines. They include RPF town inspector Vivek Sharma, assistant sub-inspector S.K. Sharma and constables Sudhir, Gokul and Kartar Singh.
Khatik was critically injured Friday when a group of RPF personnel surrounded him and caned him in full public view when he tried to stop an ongoing drive to demolish illegal shops that were built on railway land in Chhota Bajarial locality in Bina.
The 54-year-old MP from Sagar was bleeding profusely when he was rushed in an unconscious state to Bhopal’s Hamidia Hospital where he was under observation in the Intensive Care Unit. His condition is stable, said a doctor treating him.
A shutdown was observed Saturday in Bina town on a call given by the BJP to protest the assault on the party MP.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said: “We condemn this heinous act.”
- Six policemen booked, five suspended for beating up BJP MP - Oct 04, 2008
- 5 Railway policemen suspended for assault on BJP MP - Oct 05, 2008
- Six policemen charged for assaulting MP, probe ordered (Second Lead) - Oct 04, 2008
- BJP MP injured in clash between encroachers, police - Oct 03, 2008
- Betrayed by lover, minor girl commits suicide - Jun 19, 2011
- BJP leader held for attacking mining inspector - Mar 11, 2012
- Three RPF men suspended for torturing guard, probe ordered - Oct 14, 2011
- Violence breaks out Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Rajasthan - Aug 08, 2012
- Drunk man beaten up by police at railway station - Feb 14, 2012
- BJP MP, workers arrested for damaging railway property - Feb 27, 2010
- Chhattisgarh town tense after cop killed by thieves - Feb 03, 2011
- Villagers clash with police in Noida - Sep 10, 2012
- Anti-encroachment drive in Bhopal sparks violence - May 21, 2011
- Seven killed in road accident in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 13, 2011