Six pilgrims killed in Maharashtra road accidentSeptember 15th, 2008 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 15 (IANS) Six pilgrims were killed and 10 injured Monday when a mini van they were travelling in collided headlong with a speeding government bus near Nashik in Maharashtra, police said.The incident occurred around 8 a.m. when they were proceeding from Kalwan village, around 70 km from Nashik city, and headed for a nearby pilgrim spot, Kalwan police station head Nissar Shaikh told IANS over telephone.
At a curve in the road, the mini van - a 12-seater auto rickshaw - and a Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) bus crashed into each other.
While five people were killed instantaneously, one died a couple of hours later in a hospital in Nashik.
The 10 injured were admitted to hospitals in Nashik and Kalwan in a serious condition, Shaikh said.
However, the driver of the mini van managed to escape with minor injuries since he jumped out of the speeding vehicle before the collision, he added.
The dead have been identified as: Kalu Sonu Bagul (50), Pika Dhavalu Bagul (55), Venu Mathura Gaikwad (30), Parubai Jivla Bhore (40) and Girija Budha Sonawane (35). The name of the sixth victim was not immediately available.
- 27 killed, 29 injured in Maharashtra accident (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra accident - Jun 29, 2011
- Six more held for burning alive Malegaon officer (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Maharashtra stops plying buses to Karnataka over demand for Belgaum - Jul 13, 2010
- Six die in Mumbai-Nashik Highway accident - May 05, 2011
- Man steals bus to lure estranged wife, kids back! - May 26, 2012
- IAS officers condemn killing of Malegaon officer - Jan 28, 2011
- Gurukul, Residency share honours - Jul 25, 2012
- Pune road mayhem-waiting to happen? - Jan 25, 2012
- Petrol mafia burn senior district official on raid (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus, kills 5 - Jan 25, 2012
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Mumbai gets its first air-conditioned bus stand - Feb 20, 2011
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Kerosene mafia burns government officer alive - Jan 25, 2011