Six killed in Nepal bus accident, Monday’s toll 25May 20th, 2008 - 3:31 pm ICT by admin
Kathmandu, May 20 (IANS) Six people, mostly women and children, were killed Tuesday when their bus skidded off the road and fell almost 50 ft below in western Nepal, a day after another accident claimed at least 25 lives with many still missing. Within 24 hours of this year’s worst road accident in Dang district in midwestern Nepal, a bus laden with pilgrims fell almost 50 ft below the road killing three on the spot in Deurali village in Tanahun district. Three more died on the way to hospital.
The crash came after a passenger bus Monday fell into the swirling Rapti river, almost 100 ft below the road in Dang district.
Searches continued Tuesday morning with 25 bodies being retrieved from the river while nearly two dozen are still believed to be trapped inside the wreck.
Overcrowding, bad roads and reckless driving make Nepal’s roads among the most unsafe in the world with accidents rising during the monsoon.
In the past, the government had formed a commission to inquire into the causes of accidents and recommend means to lessen their number. But nothing more has been heard about the commission.
- 17 killed in Nepal bus accident - Jul 17, 2012
- 20 killed as bus falls into Nepal river (Lead) - Sep 10, 2009
- Dozens feared dead in Nepal bus mishap - Sep 06, 2010
- 11 killed, dozens missing as bus falls into Nepal river - Sep 10, 2009
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 42 killed in Nepal bus accident - Oct 13, 2011
- Bus falls off Nepal road third day in a row - May 21, 2008
- Nine dead in Nepal road accident - May 06, 2012
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 18 killed in Nepal bus accident - Mar 18, 2010
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 5 killed in Nepal bus accident - Mar 18, 2010
- Bus with over 30 people falls into Himachal gorge (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 35 killed in bus accident in Nepal - Jul 15, 2012