Six killed in Mexico shootoutMarch 29th, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by admin
Mexico City, March 29 (IANS) At least two soldiers and four gunmen have been killed in the mountains of Sinaloa state in western Mexico during a gunfight between the security forces and members of a drug cartel, EFE news agency reported Saturday. The incident took place Thursday. The gunmen ambushed the soldiers who were searching for illegal marijuana and opium cultivation near the town of Santiago de los Caballeros at the time of the incident, a spokesman for the Attorney General’s office said.
Sinaloa is an important hub for the drug trade, controlled by the fugitive Joaquin Guzman alias El Chapo, wanted by both Mexican and US authorities.
In the neighbouring Sonora sate, authorities killed two gunmen involved in the drug trade Wednesday.
On Thursday Governor Eduardo Bours said in a radio interview that Guzman’s group has started recruiting gunmen in Sonora to fight rival gang members.
Meanwhile, the Mexican government announced dispatch of nearly 2,500 soldiers and federal police to Ciudad Juarez and other municipalities to fight these groups.
The government will continue its fight against these criminals, President Felipe Calderon said Thursday.
According to daily El Universal, around 750 people were killed in drug-related violence since Jan 1 across the country.
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Five slain at Mexican hospital - Mar 03, 2012
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Seven killed in Mexico violence - Jan 23, 2011
- Gunmen kill seven in Mexican town - Mar 24, 2011
- Kidnapped Mexican journalist found dead - Aug 26, 2011
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012