Six kanwarias killed in Uttar Pradesh accidentAugust 6th, 2010 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 6 (IANS) At least six kanwarias, devotees of Lord Shiva, were killed and 25 injured when a speeding bus hit their tractor-trolley in Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor district early Friday, police said.
The bus of Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC) ploughed into the rear portion of the tractor-trolley in the Naangal area, some 350 km from Lucknow.
“The injured kanwarias were admitted to a hospital, where the condition of 10 of them is stated to be critical,” police inspector Nanak Chand told reporters in Bijnor.
“Majority of those killed or injured in the accident are residents of Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut district. The devotees were on their way to the holy town of Haridwar,” he added.
No passenger was present in the bus that was returning to Meerut from Haridwar.
During the Hindu month of Shravan, thousands of kanwarias walk all the way to Haridwar to collect the water of the Ganga, bring it back home and offer it to their Shiva icons back home.
- Nine kanwarias killed in road accidents (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Five die, several injured in road accident in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 06, 2010
- Eight devotees killed in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 15, 2010
- Five killed in train-tractor trolley mishap - May 27, 2011
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- 41 killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 22, 2011
- Eight killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Jan 21, 2011
- Kanwarias clash with police - Jul 23, 2011
- Six killed as train rams into vehicle - Mar 09, 2010
- Kanwars: For Hindus by Muslims - Aug 08, 2010
- Nine of wedding party electrocuted in Uttra Pradesh - Apr 28, 2010
- 18 killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Feb 09, 2010
- One killed, 21 students injured in accident - Oct 03, 2011
- Nine killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Jun 19, 2010
- Kanwaria electrocuted to death in Ghaziabad - Aug 03, 2010