Six in race for four Rajya Sabha seats in KashmirFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 3 (IANS) Former chief ministers Farooq Abdullah (National Conference) and Ghulam Nabi Azad and union Water Resources Minister Saifuddin Soz (both Congress) were among the five candidates who Tuesday filed their nominations for four Rajya Sabha seats from Jammu and Kashmir.The others who filed nominations Tuesday - the last date for filing nominations - were Mohammad Shafi Uri of the National Conference (NC) and A.V. Gupta of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s Altaf Bukhari filed his nomination papers Monday.
The polling will be held Feb 13.
The ruling coalition has fielded candidates for all the four seats, though it can win only three because of the three separate notifications for polls - one each for two seats and a third for the two remaining seats.
The NC-Congress alliance has support of 48 members including two nominated women members and two other legislators - Ghulam Hassan Mir of the Jammu and Kashmir Democratic Party and Hakeem Mohammad Yasin of the Peoples Democratic Front.
The PDP has 21 members and support of two Independent legislators taking its number to 23, while the BJP has an effective strength of 11. However, the BJP candidate is expected to get the support of the four other legislators - three of Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party and one of Jammu State Morcha.
There will be a contest for the fourth seat and given the combination and strength of parties, the PDP candidate stands to benefit.
- BJP to probe cross-voting in legislative council polls - Apr 14, 2011
- NC-Congress alliance wins 5 out of 6 council seats - Apr 13, 2011
- Azad lambasts National Conference, PDP alike - Apr 19, 2012
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Pranab to visit Kashmir to scout for support - Jul 08, 2012
- Credibility of J&K; regime at lowest: Mufti - Sep 01, 2012
- NC-Congress combine bags 5 seats, PDP has surplus votes - Apr 13, 2011
- PDP again raises custodial death, assembly adjourned sine die - Oct 04, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Cancel assembly memberships of expelled BJP legislators' - Feb 19, 2012
- Farooq cautions Congress on PDP's designs - Nov 27, 2011
- Opposition stages walkout in Kashmir assembly - Mar 01, 2011
- Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scam - Mar 13, 2012
- PDP is party of Jammu too: Mufti - May 27, 2012
- Kashmir to move bill on district jobs for locals (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010