Six held for fake currency racket in Uttar PradeshJanuary 10th, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 10 (IANS) Six people allegedly involved in printing and circulation of fake currency notes were arrested in Uttar Pradesh, the police said Saturday.”The six were nabbed Friday night from a hideout in Premnagar area in Bareilly (some 250 km from Lucknow),” police inspector Chandra Pal Singh told IANS on phone.
The arrested people, who hail from different districts of the state, have confessed to printing and supplying counterfeit currency notes through their “agents” in various parts of Uttar Pradesh and its neighbouring states, including Uttarakhand, Bihar and Jharkhand, Singh added.
Fake currency notes worth Rs.80,000 were seized from them. Several computers and printers used for printing the fake notes were also recovered from the hideout, the police said.
Uttar Pradesh is turning out to be a hub for counterfeit currency notes smuggled purportedly across the porous and largely unguarded border with Nepal, according to the police.
In August last, a Reserve Bank of India team unearthed counterfeit currency amounting to over Rs.5 million from the currency chest of the State Bank of India’s Domariaganj branch in Siddharthnagar district.
This followed the arrest of the bank’s chief cashier and recovery of a large amount of both genuine and fake currency from his house.
- Two held with counterfeit currency notes - Aug 17, 2009
- Four arrested with counterfeit currency notes - Jun 30, 2009
- Three held with Pakistan-made fake currency - Nov 25, 2010
- Fake currency rackets busted in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh - Jan 03, 2009
- Fake notes seized in Uttar Pradesh, four arrested - Dec 07, 2008
- Man depositing fake currency in Uttar Pradesh bank arrested - Nov 12, 2008
- Five held with fake currency in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 07, 2010
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Two held in Uttar Pradesh with fake currency notes - Oct 12, 2010
- Two held with fake currency notes - Oct 15, 2011
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- SBI launches first 'cash factory' in Lucknow - Mar 04, 2009
- Five men arrested with fake notes - Sep 13, 2011
- Fake currency racket busted in Delhi, one held (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Three held with fake currency worth Rs.1 lakh - Nov 18, 2011