Six get life term for Bangalore terror attack (Lead)December 19th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Dec 19 (IANS) Six people, suspected to be members of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, were Monday sentenced to life imprisonment by a Karnataka court for a terror attack at the prestigious Indian Institute of Science here in 2005 that killed a retired professor.
Fast track court Judge V.R. Revankar awarded the punishment to Mohammed Riaz-ur-Rehman of Andhra Pradesh, and Afzar Pasha, Mehboob Ibrahim Saab Chopdar, Noorulla Khan, Mohammed Irfan and Nazim Uddin alias Munna, all from Karnataka.
The attack was the first major terror strike in Bangalore, the nation’s tech hub housing well-known educational and research institutions, Indian and foreign IT firms, giant public sector factories and scores of BPOs, call centres and other IT-enabled services.
In the attack on the evening of Dec 28, 2005, delegates coming out of an international conference at the famed science institute in north Bangalore were fired on, leading to the death of M.C. Puri, a retired professor of Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi, and injuries to four people.
Police arrested seven people Jan 14, 2006, and charged them with sedition, terrorism and creating religious disharmony.
One accused was acquitted while the other six were found guilty by the court Saturday.
All the seven were in central prison at Parappana Agrahara in east Bangalore.
- Six convicted for terror attack on Indian Institute of Science - Dec 17, 2011
- Six get life term for Bangalore terror attack (Second Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Maudany's wife gets to meet him in jail - Sep 22, 2010
- Yeddyurappa stays in jail, bail hearing Nov 8 - Nov 04, 2011
- Hearing on Kannada actor's bail plea after two weeks (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
- Yeddyurappa to stay in jail when Advani arrives - Oct 28, 2011
- Special court in prison complex for Jayalalithaa's appearance - Oct 18, 2011
- Maudany's wife seeks bail relaxation to meet husband - Sep 20, 2010
- Yeddyurappa may be back in jail Tuesday, seeks bail - Oct 17, 2011
- Diwali in jail for Yeddyurappa - Oct 24, 2011
- Karnataka BJP MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail deal (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Jayalalithaa reappears in court in assets case - Oct 21, 2011
- High security for Jayalalithaa's court appearance Thursday - Oct 19, 2011
- Jayalalithaa answers nearly 600 more questions in assets case - Oct 21, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets bail in one case - Nov 03, 2011