Six extortionists arrested in JharkhandFebruary 21st, 2009 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bokaro (Jharkhand), Feb 21 (IANS) Six men allegedly involved in several cases of extortion and contract killing were arrested here Saturday, the police said.
Acting on a tip-off the police of Dhanbad and Bokaro districts arrested the six men in a joint operation from Bokaro railway station when they got down from Patna-Hatiya Express Saturday, officials said.
According to police sources, many businessmen and doctors of Bokaro and Dhanbad district had received extortion calls allegedly made by the six men.
“We were tracing the phone calls made from a Patna jail to these men,” an official told IANS.
The arrested men were identified as Jai Prakash Singh, Atul Kumar, Vijay Kumar alias Sanju, Manoj Singh, Manish Raj and Mohammad Mehran.
The police seized some firearms and mobile phones from their possession, the official added.
Raj and Vijay Kumar are computer professionals pursuing a MCA (Master in Computer Application) course.
Raj told reporters that he had taken an assignment to kill two doctors in Dhanbad district.
- Police arrest top Maoists leader in Jharkhand's Gomia area - Aug 08, 2010
- Six Maoists arrested in Bihar - Dec 08, 2010
- Six drug peddlers arrested - Oct 07, 2010
- Bihar doctor dragged out of clinic, shot dead - Sep 14, 2011
- Top GNLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Aug 28, 2012
- Congress office sealed in anti-encroachment drive - Mar 30, 2011
- Man held with ammunition outside Nitish meeting in Bihar - Jul 09, 2012
- Two Maoists arrested in West Bengal - Nov 22, 2010
- Maoist held for extortion in West Bengal - Nov 11, 2010
- Railway cop killed in Maoist blast - Jun 20, 2011
- Three arms smugglers held, weapons seized in Bengal - Mar 12, 2011
- Two Bihar legislators get extortion calls - Jul 04, 2011
- Kidnapped student rescued, three held (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Five men held for firearms racket in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 17, 2010
- Stones thrown at Nitish Kumar's convoy - Jan 22, 2012