Six die after drinking poisonous hooch in KolkataJanuary 4th, 2009 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 4 (IANS) At least six people died and 25 others fell sick after consuming poisonous country made liquor here, the police said Sunday.”At least six persons have died and 25 others have fallen sick after consuming poisonous country made liquor at Khidderpore area in south-west Kolkata Sunday,” Special Additional Police Commissioner (Armed police) Debasis Roy told reporters here.
According to police sources, there are about 20 illegal country liquor shops in the area.
“Many slum dwellers in the area are addicted to drinking and they get the liquor from the local shops. But the men who bought and drank the hooch Saturday night fell sick immediately. While some died, many were admitted at nearby hospitals in critical condition,” said police sources.
“We have raided the illegal liquor shops in the area and have detained seven people, including three women, for selling poisonous liquor,” Roy said.
However, the officer said it’s difficult to uproot the wine shops from the area in face of public pressure.
“We raid the wine shops regularly in this area but are unable to uproot them permanently because people support these shops. It’s a social problem and our hands are tied,” Roy said.
The bodies have been sent for post-mortem examination.