Six diamond smugglers held in ChhattisgarhJuly 18th, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 18 (IANS) Six persons, all in their early 20s, were arrested in Chhattisgarh on charges of diamond smuggling, said the police Friday. Acting on a tip-off, Dhamtari district police arrested the youths and seized their Maruti van late Thursday. The police also recovered diamonds worth Rs.100,000 ($2,500) from their possession.
They were coming from the diamond-rich belt of Raipur district’s Mainpur locality.
Police said a crime squad of Raipur police has left for Dhamtari Friday to interrogate the youths.
Raipur district’s large Mainpur forest areas and Devbhog, bordering Orissa state, are confirmed diamond deposit areas. However, formal excavation has yet not started.
- Stop diamond firm from mining in Chhattisgarh: Ajit Jogi - Sep 19, 2011
- Diamond reserve in Chhattisgarh under Maoist control - Jun 20, 2010
- Two held with deer antlers in Chhattisgarh - Jan 11, 2012
- Maoists' strike hits life in two Chhattisgarh districts - Nov 27, 2009
- Four held with deer skins in Chhattisgarh - Jan 05, 2011
- Four killed as Chhattisgarh Congress chief's convoy ambushed - Jul 21, 2011
- 26 held for illegal diamond mining - Jul 24, 2010
- Two tribals held with leopard skins in Chhattisgarh - Aug 03, 2010
- Half of Chhattisgarh's diamond belt in Maoist strongholds - Aug 02, 2010
- Congress wants president's rule in Chhattisgarh - Jul 21, 2011
- Youth held with leopard skin in Chhattisgarh - Jul 23, 2008
- Half of Chhattisgarh's diamond belt in Maoist strongholds (Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Maoists kill forest official in Chhattisgarh - Nov 28, 2009
- Three drug traffickers held - Jul 11, 2011
- Maoists expanding clout in new areas in Chhattisgarh - May 24, 2009