Six-day-old infant burnt alive in Delhi hospital

March 12th, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by admin  


New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) In a shocking case of medical negligence, a six-day-old girl was burnt to death inside an “infant warmer” at a government hospital here Wednesday. “It’s a shocking incident. The baby was burnt to death inside the infant warmer due to an electrical short circuit,” Ashok Dang, the medical superintendent of Bhagwan Mahavir hospital in Pitampura, northwest Delhi, told IANS.

The incident occurred early morning even when a doctor and nursing staff were in charge of the baby.

Dang said the baby was born on March 7 and it was a premature birth. The mother had delivered the baby after a pregnancy of seven and a half months.

“The baby had jaundice and was kept inside the warmer. We have suspended both the doctor and the attending nurse and have ordered an internal investigation as well,” he said.

Om Prakash, the father of the infant, has alleged that the hospital staff did not respond to his alarm that the warmer is ablaze.

Delhi Police have registered a case against the hospital staff and investigations are on. Dang said they would cooperate with the police in all possible ways.

Om Prakash, an industrial labour and his wife Kamlesh, are residents of west Delhi.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe