Six-day-old infant burnt alive in Delhi hospitalMarch 12th, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) In a shocking case of medical negligence, a six-day-old girl was burnt to death inside an “infant warmer” at a government hospital here Wednesday. “It’s a shocking incident. The baby was burnt to death inside the infant warmer due to an electrical short circuit,” Ashok Dang, the medical superintendent of Bhagwan Mahavir hospital in Pitampura, northwest Delhi, told IANS.
The incident occurred early morning even when a doctor and nursing staff were in charge of the baby.
Dang said the baby was born on March 7 and it was a premature birth. The mother had delivered the baby after a pregnancy of seven and a half months.
“The baby had jaundice and was kept inside the warmer. We have suspended both the doctor and the attending nurse and have ordered an internal investigation as well,” he said.
Om Prakash, the father of the infant, has alleged that the hospital staff did not respond to his alarm that the warmer is ablaze.
Delhi Police have registered a case against the hospital staff and investigations are on. Dang said they would cooperate with the police in all possible ways.
Om Prakash, an industrial labour and his wife Kamlesh, are residents of west Delhi.
- Police arrest two nurses for death of infant in hospital - Mar 13, 2008
- 3 arrested for Punjab hospital fire tragedy - Feb 21, 2011
- 'Death of babies in Pakistan hospital fire shocking' - Jun 09, 2012
- Infant dies after removal from Punjab hospital incubator, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Kid's head stuck in cooker, rescued - May 10, 2011
- Bengal government orders inquiry into crib deaths - May 24, 2012
- Bengal hospital says 12 crib deaths 'normal' - Oct 27, 2011
- Action against Punjab health officials for infant's death - Aug 17, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Bengal's biggest paediatric hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- Safdarjung doctors strike work, demand security - Sep 07, 2010
- Boy drowns in pothole in Delhi hospital - May 25, 2012
- NCPCR orders probe into Kolkata hospital crib death - Dec 23, 2011
- Four babies die in Bengal hospital - Dec 29, 2011
- Baby allegedly dies after mother cleaned with acid - Nov 02, 2011
- Baby Falak's mother performs her last rites - Mar 16, 2012