Six cops get life term for custodial deaths in MaharashtraJuly 6th, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 6 (IANS) A court in Maharashtra Friday sentenced to life imprisonment six policemen involved in two separate custodial death cases in Yavatmal district, an official said.
In a case dating to 1998, Munishwar, an accused of a small time theft at Umarkhed in Yavatmal district was badly beaten up by police officer while he was being questioned in custody.
Umarkhed is around 120 km from the district headquarters of Yavatmal.
District Judge Anil Subramnaian of Pusad Sessions Court Friday awarded life imprisonment to four police officers involved in his death. Pusad is around 110 km from the district headquarters of Yavatmal.
In another case dating to 2003, being heard in Subramanian’s court, Tarachand received similar treatment after he was nabbed for a minor theft from Pusad. Tarachand’s father had filed a petition in the Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court stating that his son had succumbed to injuries from the beating by policemen from Pusad Police Station.
Tarachand’s post-mortem report revealed grievous injuries which might have caused his death, said a police official investigating the case.
Two policemen from Pusad Police Station were awarded life imprisonment in the case.
- Tamil Nadu cops face sexual assault probe - Nov 28, 2011
- Three brothers sentenced to life for murder - Mar 30, 2011
- Train kills three in Maharashtra - Mar 30, 2011
- Apex court wants zero tolerance for police atrocities - Nov 05, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Murder, rioting charges against 98 Mirchpur violence accused (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- 5 Delhi cops to be booked for fake drugs case, bribe - Oct 12, 2010
- Supreme Court warns police against custodial violence - Mar 29, 2011
- Four cops suspended over custodial death - Jul 22, 2010
- Man dies in police custody, protestors allege torture - Sep 16, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Undertrial jumps to death from court - Aug 31, 2010
- CJI to decide bench for hearing death row convict's plea - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: anil, bench, bombay high court, custodial death, custodial deaths, death cases, district headquarters, district judge, life imprisonment, mumbai, petition, police officer, police officers, police official, police station, policemen, post mortem report, sessions court, small time, time theft