Six cities bid for 2020 OlympicsSeptember 3rd, 2011 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, Sep 3 (IANS) Six cities have officially lodged bids to host the 2020 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said Friday.
The cities that have shown interest are Baku, Doha, Istanbul, Madrid, Rome and Tokyo.
The deadline for bidding was at midnight Thursday. The IOC will vote on the host city for the 2020 edition on Sep 7, 2013 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The cities will now undergo a technical review leading to the IOC drawing up a shortlist in May next year, the Xinhua reported.
In January 2013, the candidate cities should submit bid documents to the IOC which will then send its evaluation committee to each city between February and April 2013 to assess their respective merits.
The 2012 Olympics will be staged in London and the 2016 edition in Rio de Janeiro.
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Madrid officially launches bid for 2020 Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Japan to bid for 2020 Olympics - Apr 11, 2011
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Nairobi planning to bid for the 2024 Olympics - Aug 09, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games - Mar 03, 2012
- Rome is Italy's candidate for 2020 Olympic bid - May 20, 2010
- USOC pulls out its bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics - Aug 23, 2011
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Madrid apologises for remarks about rival Rio - Oct 01, 2009
- Spanish Olympic Chief: Why we need 2020 Games - Nov 29, 2011
- Rio de Janeiro to host 2016 Olympic Games - Oct 03, 2009
- Glasgow is Britain's lone potential candidate for 2018 Youth Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, 2020 olympics, baku, buenos aires argentina, candidate cities, doha, evaluation committee, geneva, host city, international olympic committee, ioc, istanbul, madrid, merits, olympic games, olympics, rio de janeiro, rome, shortlist, xinhua