Six Asian workers feared killed in UAE mishapJune 2nd, 2008 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, June 2 (IANS) Six Asian construction workers are feared killed in an accident at a hotel building site in the emirate of Ajman in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) early Monday. It has not been officially confirmed whether any of the workers was Indian.
According to local reports, an excess amount of concrete was poured on the ground floor of the under-construction Laguna Beach Hotel around 3 a.m. Monday, resulting in the collapse of the floor on to the basement.
All six workers got trapped in the rubble.
The reports said rescue personnel from Dubai, Sharjah and Ajman Civil Defence were continuing their efforts to extricate the bodies even as the spilled concrete was rapidly hardening.
The Khaleej Times reported that all officials of Sidco Construction Company, which employed the workers, have been detained for interrogation.
Sheikh Humaid Bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, member of the UAE Supreme Council and ruler of Ajman, expressed his grief over the incident.
He gave instructions to officials to speed up the rescue operation, the state-run Emirates News Agency (WAM) said.
A large number of the 1.5 million Indians in the UAE work as contract labour in the booming construction industry.
- UAE leaders meet foreign officials - Feb 16, 2012
- Indian sports complex's foundation laid in UAE - Jan 12, 2011
- UAE emirate launches Quran website - Aug 12, 2012
- UAE to release over 400 prisoners - Nov 04, 2011
- Kalam, Vayalar Ravi visit UAE - Jan 25, 2011
- UAE rulers greet nation on 40th national day - Dec 03, 2011
- UAE releases over 80 prisoners - Jul 20, 2012
- UAE's Fujairah pardons 45 prisoners - Jul 22, 2012
- UAE asks workers to complain if salary not paid - May 13, 2011
- Indian falls to death from UAE skyscraper - Dec 14, 2011
- UAE's Ajman ruler opens high-tech hospital in Syria - May 21, 2010
- Wipro discusses cooperation with UAE - Apr 28, 2010
- UAE to release 179 more prisoners - Jul 28, 2011
- Ajman ruler issues decree on e-Government - Jun 17, 2012
- Azim Premji discusses joint ventures in UAE (Lead) - Apr 28, 2010