Sivia and dead professor were like brothers, says his dadJanuary 14th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 14 (IANS) Devinder Sivia, mathematics lecturer at Oxford University who was held for the death of professor Steven Rawlings and later released, was “very, very good friends” with him and both were “like brothers”, the Indian-origin academic’s father has said.
Eighty-year-old Gurbaksh Sivia said: “They were very, very good friends, inseparable friends. They were like brothers. My son is a good son and a dedicated teacher. He has very simple habits - he never drinks, he never smokes. It’s unimaginable.”
“They’ve been friends ever since they studied at Cambridge University together. I’ve known him for 20 years. When my son was ill, Steven would bring flowers and food to his house to help out,” the Daily Mail quoted Gurbaksh as saying.
Gurbaksh, a retired maths teacher from Gravesend, Kent, said his son had called him up Wednesday after he was held by police, and said: “‘Dad, there’s been a tragedy and I’m in police custody under suspicion. It’s being investigated but I’m hoping it will be sorted out’.”
The body of Steven Rawlings, a 50-year-old astrophysicist, was found at the home of Sivia in Oxfordshire Wednesday.
Gurbaksh said the entire family was shocked.
After learning about his son’s release, Sivia Senior said: “Although this is some ray of good news, it is still a tragedy as Steven is not with us any more.”
- Not murder, says Oxford don's widow; Indian-origin academic gets bail (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Not murder, says widow of Oxford professor - Jan 14, 2012
- Oxford academic, now dead, suffered a breakdown last year - Jan 14, 2012
- Held for friend's death, Sivia was wooed by British government - Jan 14, 2012
- Sikh held after British colleague's body found at his home - Jan 13, 2012
- Oxford don's death: Exact cause not known - Jan 14, 2012
- Furious Hodgson not to condemn Capello after Gerrard's plea - Nov 20, 2010
- Promising cricketer Tom Maynarda's body found on rail tracks - Jun 19, 2012
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Natalie Portman expecting baby boy - Feb 18, 2011
- Mila doesn't consider herself sexy - Aug 22, 2011
- British college teacher found guilty of sexual abuse - Jul 25, 2012
- Cheryl Cole dating record producer? - Dec 14, 2011
- Rod Stewart says 8th child will be his last - Aug 31, 2010
- British patient kicked to death by horse - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: astrophysicist, cambridge university, dad, daily mail, dedicated teacher, flowers, good friends, gravesend kent, indian origin, inseparable friends, london jan, mathematics lecturer, maths teacher, oxford university, oxfordshire, police custody, professor steven, rawlings, suspicion, tragedy