Sitarist Anoushka Shankar asks people to boycott zoosMay 5th, 2011 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 5 (IANS) Sitar player Anoushka Shankar Thursday appealed to the people to boycott zoos as the animals locked up there are tortured and made to suffer.
Shankar made the appeal on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India. She has also done a promotional video “Exotic Animals Belong in the Wild, Not in Zoos” for the animal rights group.
“I choose to entertain people for a living but animals in zoos are locked in barren enclosures and put on display against their will. They can’t choose, but we can…please, boycott zoos,” she said.
According to PETA, hundreds of thousands of animals languish in zoos around the world.
“Because these animals are denied everything that is natural and important to them, they express their frustration and loneliness through obsessive, repetitive and even self-destructive behaviour, such as pacing, head-bobbing and self-mutilation,” a PETA statement said.
PETA has conducted many investigations in zoos across India revealing horrific conditions, including deficiencies in food, drinking water, shelter, veterinary care, environmental enrichment and safety.
- Zoo not right place for animals, says Anoushka Shankar (With Image) - May 05, 2011
- Captivity upsets chimps' mental health - Jun 26, 2011
- Khan sisters oppose caged animals in zoos - Jan 24, 2012
- British dogs to get anti-depressants - Jun 25, 2012
- PETA opposes sending elephants to Turkmenistan - Oct 28, 2010
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- AIIMS improves animal care facilities - Jun 15, 2011
- Dia Mirza poses in ad against animal skin trade (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- Indian zoos to be graded on performance - Apr 10, 2012
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Portman gives birth to baby boy - Jun 15, 2011
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Rosamund upset over Anushka Shankar wedding - Oct 10, 2010
- Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Xiamen Haicang Zoo - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: animal rights group, animals in zoos, anoushka shankar, deficiencies, destructive behaviour, drinking water, environmental enrichment, ethical treatment of animals, exotic animals, frustration, horrific conditions, hundreds of thousands, India, investigations, loneliness, mumbai, people for the ethical treatment of animals, self mutilation, sitarist, treatment of animals