SIT to investigate cartoonist Trivedi’s caseSeptember 13th, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 13 (IANS) A Special Investigation Team (SIT) will now investigate the case of cartoonist Aseem Trivedi and review the sedition charges against him, a senior police official said Thursday.
“Considering the importance of the case, it has now been transferred to a SIT. This will be headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police G.T. Padwal,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Namdev Chavan told IANS.
The case, that was probed by the Bandra Kurla Police station in suburban Mumbai, will now be handed over to a special team.
The SIT will review the sedition charge against Trivedi and submit a report to the Maharashtra government. Based on the report, the government might order the withdrawal of the sedition charge, if required.
Trivedi, an activist of India Against Corruption (IAC) and a Kanpur-based cartoonist, was charged with sedition for drawing cartoons insulting Indian emblems, including the Constitution during Anna Hazare’ anti-corruption movement here in December last year.
He was arrested last Saturday and sent to police custody for seven days. Following nationwide outrage, Mumbai Police Monday cut short his questioning and produced him before a court which sent him to judicial custody till Sep 24.
The Bombay High Court Tuesday granted bail to Trivedi in a public interest litigation case filed by lawyer Sanskar Marathe. He was released Wednesday.
- Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Explain sedition charges against cartoonist, court tells police - Sep 14, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi gets bail, refuses freedom till charge dropped (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released Wednesday - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Release cartoonist Trivedi or face protest: Kejriwal - Sep 11, 2012
- I drew no wrong, I'm not sorry: Aseem Trivedi (Third lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi's questioning cut short, sent to judicial custody (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt supports Aseem, calls for freedom of art - Sep 12, 2012
- Anna's cartoonist supporter sent to police custody - Sep 09, 2012
- Current times worse than emergency: Advani - Sep 12, 2012
- Family stands by jailed cartoonist, coal minister heckled - Sep 10, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Aseem Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012