Sister Abhaya was hacked to death with axe: CBIDecember 2nd, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Dec 2 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which is investigating the 1992 murder of Sister Abhaya, told a court here Tuesday that she was hacked to death with an axe by the two priests and a nun arrested in the case, 16 years after her death.On Nov 19, the 13th team of the CBI set up to probe the case - after 12 earlier teams failed - arrested Father Jose Putarika, 56, a former Malayalam professor at a Kottayam college where Abhaya studied; Father Thomas Kottor, 61, the Diocesan chancellor of the Catholic Church at Kottayam; and Sister Seffi, who was a resident of the convent when the incident took place.
Counsel for the CBI Anil Kumar told the chief judicial magistrate court here that the three accused hit Abhaya using an axe after she saw something that may have been unbefitting of them.
Abhaya, a resident of Pious X Hostel, was found dead in the well of the Kottayam convent March 27, 1992.
The three accused were produced before the court after their remand period ended Tuesday. The counsel also informed the court that the investigating agency did not need the custody of the three as the case was almost solved.
“Everything will be over in two weeks time and the final report will be filed by then,” said Kumar.
The three accused, meanwhile, told the court that they had been tormented in custody. The magistrate immediately asked them if they were given food, medicines and if they were physically tortured.
The three said no and the magistrate later sent them to judicial custody till Dec 16.
- Two lab officials to be charged in Kerala's Abhaya case - May 31, 2011
- Priest denied bail in Abhaya murder case - Dec 03, 2008
- Court wants unedited video of narco tests in Kerala nun murder - Jun 25, 2009
- Judicial custody extended for three accused of Kerala nun's murder - Dec 29, 2008
- CBI to conduct narco test on witnesses in Abhaya case - Jun 24, 2009
- Kerala media houses face action for airing narco test footage (Lead) - Sep 23, 2009
- Court orders probe into cop's suicide in Abhaya case - Feb 04, 2010
- Probe role of apex court judge, appeals Sister Abhaya's father - Oct 23, 2009
- Family of accused moves court against airing of narco tests - Sep 23, 2009
- Supreme Court judge's name crops up in Kerala nun's murder hearing - Aug 10, 2009
- Priests, nun accused in Abhaya murder case given bail - Jan 01, 2009
- Lawyers' association seeks inquiry against apex court judge - Aug 28, 2009
- CBI files chargesheet in murder of Kerala nun - Jul 17, 2009
- Court upholds arresta of priests, nun in Abhaya murder case - Nov 28, 2008
- Abhaya case: Accused demands compensation from CBI - Dec 03, 2009