Singur verdict people’s victory: MamataSeptember 28th, 2011 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 28 (IANS) Hailing the Singur verdict, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday called it “a victory of the people” that would pave the way for return of land to farmers.
“It is a historic event not only for Singur or the country but for the whole world. The Singur movement will forever be an example of struggle and victory for the world,” Banerjee said.
Earlier, the Calcutta High Court ruled the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act passed by the government was valid and constitutional.
Justice Indra Prasanna Mukherjee rejected the plea of Tata Motors challenging the legislation.
Banerjee said the verdict has paved way for returning of land to farmers for which the formalities had been completed. “The remaining land of 600 acres will be used for setting up industrial units,” she said.
The automobile major shifted the Nano plant to Gujarat from Singur in 2008, succumbing to protests by farmers led by the Trinamool Congress that sought the return of 400 acres taken from farmers reportedly unwilling to part with their land.
Within a month of forming the government in May, Banerjee enacted the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act, scrapping the land lease given to Tata Motors by the Left Front regime for the small car plant.
However, the matter got locked in legal battles stretching from the Calcutta High Court to the Supreme Court.
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Singur land act held valid, Singur farmers celebrate - Sep 29, 2011
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- We are committed to the cause of Singur farmers: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Tata may challenge Singur land law verdict Tuesday (Lead) - Oct 31, 2011
- Most parties cheer Singur order, CPI-M differs - Sep 28, 2011
- Mamata favours railways, SAIL tie-up in Singur - Oct 29, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- Jolt for Mamata as court annuls Singur land law (Roundup) - Jun 22, 2012
- Singur farmers disappointed but still hopeful - Jun 22, 2012
- Mamata thanks people for moral support on Singur - Jun 23, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Court extends stay on Singur land return - Nov 03, 2011
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Parties scramble to capture Singur turf (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: calcutta high court, car plant, chief minister, constitutional justice, development act, farmers, formalities, gujarat, kolkata, land lease, land rehabilitation, legal battles, mamata banerjee, plea, protests, regime, small car, tata motors, trinamool congress, west bengal