Singur case: State, Tata directed to file affidavitsJune 30th, 2011 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 30 (IANS) The Calcutta High Court Thursday ordered Tata Motors Ltd. and the West Bengal government to submit their affidavits in the Singur land case for an expeditious hearing, a lawyer said.
The Supreme Court had Wednesday stayed the return of land acquired from farmers in Singur for the Tata Motors Nano project till the final order on the issue by the Calcutta High Court.
“The (High) Court has directed today (Thursday) that according to SC order, the main application be heard. Till now, we were arguing for interim relief but since the SC has desired that the writ petition be heard out, accordingly the parties have agreed and the court has passed an order directing the state government to file affidavit by July 8 and TML (Tata) to give their reply on July 12.
“The writ petition will be taken up July 14 for hearing,” said Tata Motors counsel Siddharth Mitra.
The apex court also said it will not interfere in the decision, and directed the high court to rule within a month due to the urgency of the matter.
The Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act was passed in the assembly June 14, scrapping the land lease given to the Tatas by the previous Left Front government for the Nano plant.
The act came into force June 21 and the very next day, Tata Motors moved the Calcutta High Court challenging the legislation. But the high court refused the company’s plea to restrain the state government from re-distributing the land.
The automaker Tuesday approached the Supreme Court against the “undue haste” being shown by the government in returning the land after it was denied interim relief by the Calcutta High Court.
The court will take up the matter for final hearing July 14.
- Tata Motors get time till Saturday for changing plea - Jul 14, 2011
- Tatas file amendment to plea in Singur land case - Jul 04, 2011
- Supreme Court halts return of Singur land (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Bengal agreeable to court's proposal on Singur compensation - Sep 15, 2011
- Tata moves Supreme Court on Singur land - Jun 28, 2011
- SC notice to Tata Motors on Singur land - Aug 24, 2012
- SC notice to Tata Motors on Singur land (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Court extends stay on Singur land return - Nov 03, 2011
- Judge withdraws from Singur land case - Jul 26, 2011
- Supreme Court stays return of Singur land - Jun 29, 2011
- Judge withdraws from Singur land case (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Tata Motors for status quo on Singur land (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Tata Motors to move Supreme Court on Singur land - Jun 28, 2011
- Singur farmers file applications for return of land - Jul 23, 2011
- Mamata welcomes apex court order on Singur land - Jun 29, 2011