Singing the name of the Lord, for 44 yearsAugust 2nd, 2008 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
By V.N. Balakrishna
Ahmedabad, Aug 2 (IANS) One hears the name of the Lord when one steps into any place of religious worship. It is however not everyday that one hears of a temple where the name of Lord Ram is being chanted, continuously, for the last 44 years. Jamnagar’s Shri Bala Hanuman temple located near Lakhota Lake in the city has set a new record in chanting Lord Ram’s name.
The chanting began on Aug 1, 1964, when the temple was constructed by the late Sant Prembhikshuji Maharaj. It was the Maharaj and his handful of devotees who first uttered the Ram chant “Shri Ram Jay Ram Jay Jay Ram”. In an unbelievable record the chant entered its 45th year Friday.
The details of the Ram chant are amazing. It has until the end of Thursday completed 16,070 days non-stop. That translates into 385,680 hours and 23,140,800 minutes in the long journey of 44 years.
This continuous Ram chant has already been recorded twice in the Guinness Book of World Records in 1982 and 1988.
The Ram chant never ceases even during natural calamities like war, cyclones, famine or earthquake.
The Bala Hanuman temple’s trustee Jaysukhbhai Gusani speaking to IANS Friday said a ‘Maha aarti’ (prominent prayer) was held Friday evening as the chant entered its 45th year.
He said with Maharajshri`s blessings the Ram chant has also spread to other cities like Porbandar, Dwarka, Muzzaffarpur, Rajkot, Junagadh, and Mahuva.
- Hanuman Jayanti celebrated in Agra - Apr 06, 2012
- This Ram devotee was born a Muslim - Jan 01, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates Ram Navami with devotion - Apr 01, 2012
- A temple with history, legends and treasures - Jul 10, 2011
- Hanuman idol perched atop pole in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 08, 2011
- Maharashtra celebrates Ram Navami - Mar 24, 2010
- Devotees worship a diamond-bedecked Lord Hanuman at Ayodhya temple - Oct 17, 2009
- 'Red alert' around Hindu temples in Pak in wake of Babri mosque verdict - Oct 01, 2010
- Temple not on people's agenda in Ayodhya - Feb 09, 2012
- On Lord Ram's trail to Sabari Dham (Feature With Images) - Aug 06, 2011
- Millions throng Goverdhan for annual pilgrimage - Jul 15, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- Abhishek likely to unveil 108-ft Hanuman idol in Shimla - Nov 03, 2010
- Special puja performed in Ayodhya to seek relief from terrorism - Dec 01, 2008
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012