Simplify Hindi news to reach masses: Ambika SoniSeptember 15th, 2010 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) The Hindi media should use simpler words to reach out to the non-Hindi speaking population, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said Tuesday.
“Some papers use very difficult Hindi words which cannot be understood by those who don’t have Hindi as their mother tongue,” Soni said while participating in a seminar on the Hindi media on the occasion of ‘Hindi Divas’.
Union Public Service Comission (UPSC) board member Purushottam Agarwal, CNN-IBN chief editor Rajdeep Sardesai, writer Namwar Singh, Hindi expert of Spanish origin Oscar Pujol, poet Ashok Chakradhar and editor and publisher of Hindi newspaper Dainik Bhaskar Ramesh Chandra Agarwal, among others, participated in the event.
While Namwar Singh expressed apprehensions about the increased mix of languages used in the media, Pujol found colonialism the reason for continuing supremacy of English. Purushottam Agarwal, meanwhile, stressed on increasing knowledge literature in the language.
Hindi Divas is celebrated Sep 14 to mark the day in 1949 the Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi as the national language.
- 'Getting upset over cartoons immature' - May 19, 2012
- Media needs to be regulated, say senior journalists - May 10, 2012
- Network18 to felicitate young Indian leaders - Oct 20, 2010
- Spain reaches out to Indian hinterland - Jun 16, 2010
- Omar Abdullah ensures amicable resolution to 'News X' controversy - Jul 11, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh government gagging media: CNN-IBN (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Aamir Khan seeks disabled-friendly infrastructure - Jan 20, 2010
- Alliance with Congress not possible, says Akhilesh - Feb 29, 2012
- Sibal calls for efforts to propagate Hindi - Sep 29, 2010
- Experts call for balance in Anna protest coverage - Aug 21, 2011
- Yahoo India wants partners for regional content - Nov 15, 2010
- 'Any code of conduct effective only if journalists conscientious' - Dec 03, 2010
- Hindi new language for trade and employment: Chidambaram - Sep 14, 2010
- Karnataka police cautioned on misuse of law against scribes - May 04, 2010
- Editors Guild condemns practice of paid news - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,