Simmons keen to play in ODIs against EnglandMay 9th, 2012 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), May 9 (IANS/CMC) Fit-again West Indies batsman Lendl Simmons is targeting a comeback against England in the upcoming limited-overs series next month.
The right-handed stroke-maker returned to action in the domestic competition here last month after undergoing surgery in February for a fractured finger suffered during the Regional Four-Day Championship.
Last week, he stroked 127 for his local club Ceramic Merryboys and says he hopes he can do enough to convince regional selectors.
“I see no reason to be left out the English series. I’m making some big scores once again and I think I have done a lot to deserve selection,” he told the Trinidad NewsDay.
“I just want to keep playing to the best of my ability and move from strength to strength. As a cricketer, I want to do my best representing my club, country and the region.”
Simmons has played eight Tests and 36 One-Day Internationals (ODI), but has not played since December when he faced India in the ODIs there.
He has emerged as one of the side’s most consistent one-day batsmen in recent times, and has scored a hundred and two half-centuries in his last seven innings.
West Indies play England in a three-Test series, starting May 17, before the three one-dayers and a Twenty20 from June 16-24 and Simmons says he is eager to get into the team.
“I feel great. It’s good to be fit and back to form once again. I was elated with my 127 against Wanderers recently because I want runs under my belt to make the One-Dayers and T20s in England,” he said.
West Indies are expected to have a full strength squad for that tour with the estranged Chris Gayle, and Indian Premier League stars Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo, all available for selection.
- Simmons signals return with century - May 01, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Mohammed wants to retain place in West Indies team - Dec 27, 2011
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- West Indies dressing room a happier place now: Sammy - Oct 18, 2011
- IPL star Narine to replace Roach in West Indies squad - May 31, 2012
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- International cricket umpire Clyde Duncan dies - Jul 28, 2011
- I seized the opportunity: Sunil Narine - Jul 16, 2012
- Williams back as Trinidad and Tobago coach - Jun 06, 2012
- West Indies on right track: Head coach Gibson - Aug 10, 2012
- Gayle brings quality to the side, says chief selector - Jun 06, 2012
- Gibson staying out of Gayle-WICB fracas - May 03, 2012
- Maturity behind improved form, says Samuels - Oct 16, 2011
- Bravo-Ramdin-Rampaul-Barath return boosts T&T; - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: batsman, chris gayle, cricketer, domestic competition, dwayne bravo, fractured finger, kieron, league stars, lendl, local club, merryboys, narine, newsday, odis, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, strength to strength, t20s, test series, trinidad newsday