‘SIMI activist’ arrest puts Madhya Pradesh links under scannerAugust 18th, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Aug 18 (IANS) A suspected activist of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) arrested from Indore was put through a sustained interrogation, the Madhya Pradesh police said Monday, though they refused to comment if he was involved in the serial bombings in Ahmedabad last month.Indore’s Inspector General of Police Anil Kumar confirmed the arrest of a citizen of that city following a tip-off from the Gujarat police, but refused to reveal his identity and remained tight lipped about the possible Madhya Pradesh links with the July 26 terror attack.
He said the suspected SIMI activist was being interrogated and it would not be proper to divulge anything at this juncture.
The Gujarat police Saturday said it had “nearly cracked” the terror conspiracy and that SIMI was behind the 22 bombings which claimed 55 lives.
While Madhya Pradesh police officials refused to speak on record, police sources said investigations so far have indicated this central state was emerging as the safest haven for terror operatives.
The Gujarat police and the crime branch of Mumbai Police were probing the possibility that car thieves from Madhya Pradesh might have helped terrorists procure vehicles used in the Ahmedabad blasts.
Meanwhile, a team of intelligence officials from Bhopal left for Ahmedabad to interrogate the 10 SIMI activists arrested in connection with the blasts.
- Terrorist shot dead in Aurangabad - Mar 26, 2012
- Probe widens in Mumbai blasts, detonators remain mystery - Jul 18, 2011
- Mumbai cops in Ahmedabad to quiz IM operative - Jul 16, 2011
- Five SIMI activists arrested in Madhya Pradesh - Oct 21, 2009
- One week on, Mumbai attackers unknown - Jul 20, 2011
- Terror suspect arrested in Kolkata - Jul 18, 2012
- Gujarat police team in Madhya Pradesh for custody of SIMI activists - Aug 22, 2008
- NIA not allowed to question Ajmer dargah blast suspect - Sep 23, 2011
- SIMI's former president nabbed at Kochi airport - Jun 25, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh police hunt SIMI activist's accomplices - Aug 06, 2009
- CBI-ATS team explores Abhinav Bharat's role in Ajmer blast - Oct 23, 2009
- Gujarat police gets custody of Madhya Pradesh SIMI activists - Aug 22, 2008
- Four suspected terrorists with SIMI links held in Madhya Pradesh - Nov 04, 2009
- Anti-terror sqaud traces car used in Ajmer blast - Dec 25, 2010
- Many links between Ahmedabad, Pune blasts - Feb 17, 2010