Silver for Ram, Seema gets bronze in Asian Grand PrixMay 23rd, 2011 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) India’s middle distance runner Ghamanda Ram and discus thrower Seema Antil won silver and bronze medals in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix series in the Chinese city of Jiaxiang.
According to information received here, Ram missed the 800 metres gold after he was just a fraction of second (0.22s) slower behind reigning Asian Games gold medalist Sadjad Moradi, who finished with a timing of 1:50.47. Chinese Yang Xiaofei took the bronze in 1:50.84. The second Indian in the fray, Sajeesh Joseph, finished fifth in 1:51.62.
In the women’s discus, Seema hurled the disc to 49.77m for the bronze behind China’s Yang Fei (58.01m) and Lin Xiaojing (51.52m).
Among other Indians, woman triple jumper Mayookha Johny missed a podium finish after she registered a personal best 13.71m for the fourth place. Mayookha, a medal prospect, was just 1 cm short of M.A. Prajusha’s national mark set during the Commonwealth Games at New Delhi last October.
The Chinese finished 1-2 with Li Yanmei (13.98m) and Xie Limei (13.93m) taking the top spots. Uzbekistan’s Aleksandra Kotlyarova take home the bronze medal in 13.80m.
In men’s, triple jumper Arpinder Singh finished fifth with 16.19m while and long jumper Mahan Singh was sixth with a leap of 7.35m. Suman Devi finished fifth in javelin throw with 45.93m.
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- India pinning hopes on Mayookha and Ram for Asian Grand Prix - May 19, 2011
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: Vijay shines with silver, Saina's bronze hunt on (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shoots silver as boxer Vikas exits (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Krishna Poonia qualifies; Mayookha, Om Prakash out (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Asian athletics: Mayookha leaps to gold, silver for Gowda - Jul 07, 2011
- Triple jumper Mayookha out of Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singh - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, Saina gets rousing reception (India Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Asian Games athletics: Relay team gives gold, Preeja silver (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Olympics: Indian triple jumper Renjith crashes out - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 22s, 80m, asian games, bronze medal, bronze medals, chinese city, commonwealth games, fei, games gold, gold medalist, grand prix, leap, long jumper, mahan, middle distance, moradi, New Delhi, podium, seema, triple jumper