Sikhs protest outside Austrian embassy in Delhi over Vienna killingMay 26th, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Around 200 people held a demonstration outside the Austrian embassy here Tuesday, demanding an investigation into the killing of a Sikh religious leader in Vienna.
The protesters, followers of the slain Sant Rama Nand of Dera Sachh Khand, gathered outside the embassy at Chandragupta Marg in Chanakyapuri Tuesday morning.
“It was a peaceful protest and the sect members wanted to give a memorandum to Austrian embassy demanding investigation into the killing of their leader,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) S. Dash told IANS.
“Police will guide two-three members of the group to the commission for submitting the memorandum,” he said.
Meanwhile, security around the embassy has been tightened. “We have deployed extra forces around the embassy and the situation is under control,” Dash added.
Followers of Dera Sachh Khand burnt trains, blocked key highways and destroyed property in Punjab and parts of Haryana Monday to protest an attack on its leaders in a gurdwara in the Austrian capital Vienna the day before.
The sect leader Sant Rama Nand, the second-in-command, died in a hospital in Vienna Monday. Sunday’s attack also left at least 16 people injured.
- Curfew in Hoshiarpur - May 25, 2009
- Dal Khalsa urges apex Sikh body to probe Vienna shoot-out - Aug 11, 2009
- Social neglect leading to growing influence of sects: Experts - May 29, 2009
- Punjab assembly by-poll postponed to June 12 - May 26, 2009
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to send team to probe Vienna shooting - Aug 12, 2009
- Punjab situation under control, says Badal - May 25, 2009
- Thousands pour in for sect leader's cremation in Punjab - Jun 04, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Ashes of Sant Rama Nand Dass taken to Haridwar for immersion - Jun 07, 2009
- Himachal stops plying its buses in violence-hit Punjab - May 25, 2009
- In Vienna, followers pay last respects to Rama Nand - Jun 02, 2009
- Fresh violence in Punjab after sect leader dies in Vienna (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Man who led Vienna attack also in hospital - May 29, 2009
- Punjab burns as sect leader dies in Vienna (Second Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Vienna police investigating murder of Sant Rama Nand shot at - Jun 15, 2009