Sikhs on warpath in Pilibhit after holy book desecratedSeptember 16th, 2011 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 16 (IANS) A state transport corporation bus was burnt and two others damaged as protests by the Sikh community in Uttar Pradesh’s Pilibhit district to protest desecration of their holy book turned violent Friday, police said.
Large bands of Sikhs, out on the streets of Katia-Patti and its adjoining Majhola towns indulged in arson and vandalism to mark their protest against the failure of police to track down the culprits who had torn a copy of the holy Guru Granth Sahib and thrown its pages on the main thoroughfare of the town about four days ago.
While initial protests were contained in the wake of reassurances given by the local administration, trouble escalated again Friday after police expressed their helplessness in identifying the guilty.
“We had entrusted the task of investigation to the Special Task Force (STF) on Thursday and I am sure we will get the guilty to book, but people must give the STF some time,” Special Director General of Police Brij Lal told IANS here.
Protesters burnt down a state-owned bus, while two other buses were badly damaged in the violence, he said.
The district, situated on the Uttar Pradesh-Uttarakhand border, is part of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Varun Gandhi’s parliamentary constituency.
- Tension in Uttar Pradesh town after desecration at Sikh shrine - Dec 21, 2009
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- Azamgarh tense after student's death in accident - Nov 04, 2011
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Four held with heroin worth Rs.4 crore - Sep 03, 2010
- Two more arrested for vandalising Mayawati's statue - Aug 28, 2012
- Three held with 100 cartridges and firearms - Feb 16, 2011
- Shutdown by Dalit groups in Andhra - Jan 30, 2012
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh town after schoolboy's death - Aug 10, 2010
- Jammu Muslims protest Quran desecration in US - Sep 13, 2010
- Police post torched during protest - Nov 02, 2011
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court - Dec 20, 2011
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Curfew in Punjab town after rumours of Quran burning in US - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: arson, brij, culprits, desecration, director general, helplessness, janata party, katia, lal, local administration, parliamentary constituency, sikh community, sikhs, stf, thoroughfare, transport corporation, uttar pradesh, vandalism, varun gandhi, warpath