Sikhs demand representation in Jharkhand minority panelMay 7th, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 7 (IANS) Sikhs in Jharkhand Thursday filed a petition in the high court here demanding appointment of their community member as vice-chairperson of the state’s Minority Commission.
The Central Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (CGPC) of Jamshedpur filed a Public Interest Litigation in Jharkhand High Court.
The commission was constituted Feb 20 by Jharkhand Governor Syed Sibte Razi. Gulfam Mojibi was appointed the chairman while Xavier Soreng and Manzoor Ahmad Ansari were named vice-chairpersons.
The petition said that traditionally in Bihar, Muslims headed the minority commission while the vice-chairpersons’ posts are represented by a Christian and a Sikh. Jharkhand was carved out of Bihar in 2000.
“The last two successive governments led by Madhu Koda and Shibu Soren had recommended to appoint a Sikh as vice-chairperson of the Minority Commission but governor reversed the recommendation,” it said.
“We are not against any community. Our intention is that minority communities should be represented in proportion and tradition should be followed. Sikh should not be ignored in a move to appease other communities,” said Manpreet Singh of Ranchi.
- Shun violence, Jharkhand governor tells Maoists - Jan 26, 2012
- Australian Sikh Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee formed - Apr 16, 2011
- Corruption, instability mark 10 years of Jharkhand - Nov 12, 2010
- Jharkhand suspends senior IAS officer on corruption charges - Aug 25, 2009
- Court petition against former Jharkhand governor - Dec 17, 2009
- BJP demands probe in Razi's role during central rule in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2009
- Delhi High Court upholds election of Kidwai as Haj Committee Chairperson - Aug 25, 2010
- Sankaranarayanan takes oath as Jharkhand governor - Jul 26, 2009
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: High court dismisses petition - Apr 05, 2012
- Houses of former Jharkhand governor's aides raided - Aug 03, 2009
- Syed Ahmad is new Jharkhand governor - Sep 04, 2011
- BJP demands removal of Jharkhand governor - Feb 04, 2009
- Jharkhand governor for removal of recruitment board chief - Feb 26, 2009
- Haj committee election upheld by court - Aug 26, 2010
- Himachal brings panchayats in Lokayukta's ambit - Mar 11, 2011