Sikh massacre: SGPC asks PM for probeFebruary 24th, 2011 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Fatehgarh Sahib (Punjab), Feb 24 (IANS) The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), the mini-parliament of Sikh religion, Thursday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking a judicial probe into the alleged massacre of Sikhs at a village in Haryana’s Rewari district during the 1984 riots. “Haryana police and government have failed to arrest the culprits behind the Sikh massacre. I have written a letter to prime minister seeking a time-bound judicial probe in this tragic incident,” SGPC president Avatar Singh Makkar told reporters in this Punjab town.
Makkar had Tuesday also visited Hondh-Chillar village, the site of the alleged massacre, some 350 km from Chandigharh.
Sikh organizations in Punjab and other places have sought a thorough investigation into allegations that several Sikhs were targeted and killed by mobs in the village Nov 2, 1984 in the aftermath of the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh bodyguards in New Delhi.
Meanwhile, the Haryana government Thursday clarified that 32 people had lost their lives in the village during the riots in 1984 and proper compensation was given to their kin.
“Compensation amounting to Rs.700,000 each was given by the government under state and central schemes to the next of kin of the deceased. A total of Rs.2.24 crore was given,” said the government spokesperson here Thursday.
He added: “A compensation of Rs.100,000 each was also given for damage to property in 2006 for 36 properties.”
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda has already sought a report on the issue from Gurgaon divisional commissioner.
The ruling Shiromani Akali Dal in Punjab had also Saturday announced the setting up of a seven-member fact-finding committee.
- Sikh massacre: SGPC rejects Haryana government's probe - Feb 23, 2011
- Haryana to probe Sikh massacre in village 26 years ago - Feb 21, 2011
- Haryana panel to probe Sikh killings - Mar 05, 2011
- Haryana issued notice over alleged massacre - Mar 03, 2011
- Sikh group asks UNESCO to preserve Haryana ruins - Mar 12, 2011
- Call to prosecute Congress leaders for anti-Sikh riots (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- Rights group seeks Congress leaders' prosecution for anti Sikh riots - Apr 26, 2011
- Ardass Diwas held at Akal Takht for the first time in 26 years - Mar 04, 2011
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Ardass Divas held at Akal Takht in Amritsar - Nov 04, 2010
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Gurdwara committee polls slated for Sep 18 - Jul 28, 2011
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- SGPC sets up panel to save Bhullar - May 30, 2011
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: divisional commissioner, fatehgarh sahib, government spokesperson, haryana government, hooda, indira gandhi, investigation into allegations, judicial probe, makkar, manmohan singh, prime minister indira, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proper compensation, rewari, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh organizations, sikhs, tragic incident