Sikh killed in clash with Dera followers in HaryanaJuly 18th, 2008 - 12:22 pm ICT by IANS
Dabwali (Haryana), July 18 (IANS) A Sikh youth was killed in a clash between followers of the Dera Sacha Sauda sect and Sikh activists here Friday, police said. About 10 Sikh activists tried to stop a “naam charcha” (prayer meeting) of the Dera followers in this town in Sirsa district, about 350 km from state capital Chandigarh.
The sect followers retaliated by pelting stones and one of the Sikh actvists, Mandar Singh, was killed in the violence that ensued. Police said he had sustained a head injury.
District officials and police reinforcements rushed to the spot to maintain law and order. The police were put on alert in Sirsa town, where the headquarters of the sect led by Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh is located.
The sect chief has been involved in a controversy with the Sikh community since May last year after he attired himself like 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh, during a religious ceremony. This led to violence in Punjab, Haryana and several other states as Sikhs objected to his actions and demanded his arrest.
More recently, the hostility between the sect and Sikhs was re-ignited when a private security guard of the sect chief killed a Sikh youth outside a Mumbai mall last month when some Sikhs protested against the Dera chief’s presence there.
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Haryana town tense after Sikh-Dera clash leaves one dead (Lead) - Jul 18, 2008
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Five women devotees killed in Haryana stampede - Apr 30, 2010
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Five women killed in Haryana stampede (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Sacha Sauda followers go on rampage in Punjab, Haryana - Feb 27, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010