Sikh group seeks apology from Jay Leno for Golden Temple remarkJanuary 25th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Jan 25 (IANS) Amid growing protest from the Sikh community against US chat show host Jay Leno for his remarks on the holiest of Sikh shrines - the Golden Temple, a Sikh group here has sought an apology from Leno and asked the US administration not to defend him.
Kanwarpal Singh, secretary-political affairs of Sikh group Dal Khalsa, said here: “Freedom of speech and expression is not a licence to offend. We are distressed to note that instead of taking a stand against the unwanted, unnecessary reference to the holiest shrine by NBC commentator Jay Leno, the US government has officially defended the comments.”
During his show last week, Leno passed off a visual of the Golden Temple as Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s vacation home.
Singh said this was not the first time that Leno had made snide remarks against the Sikh community.
He said that the reference to Golden Temple, the Vatican of the Sikhs, has deeply hurt the sentiments of the entire Sikh community, including Sikh-Americans.
“Sikh diaspora will continuously campaign till Jay Leno and the NBC apologises and the American government regrets its defence of the comedian,” he added.
- India, US Sikh group object to Golden Temple comments - Jan 25, 2012
- Jay Leno being criticized for his comments on India's Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- US comedian Jay Leno sued over Golden Temple joke - Jan 26, 2012
- Sikh group hires lobbyist to educate US media - Feb 02, 2012
- India objects to US TV host's joke on Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- US defends TV host's `satirical' comments on Golden Temple - Jan 24, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: US officials join prayers at Golden Temple - Aug 10, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Mitt Romney confuses 'Sikh' with 'sheikh' - Aug 08, 2012
- Disappointed Indian Sikhs urge Obama to at least visit Delhi Gurudwara - Nov 03, 2010
- Former Akal Takht head excommunicated from Sikh religion - Jan 29, 2010
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Yahoo fires journalist after Romney joke - Aug 31, 2012
- FBI urged to check hate crimes against Sikh-Americans - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: american government, apologises, apology, comedian, commentator, dal khalsa, diaspora, freedom of speech, golden temple, jay leno, mitt romney, political affairs, republican presidential candidate, sentiments, show host, sikh community, sikh shrines, sikhs, taking a stand, vacation home