Sikand murder case: court dismisses bail plea of ex army officerSeptember 29th, 2008 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 29 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday dismissed the bail plea of Lt. Col. (retd) S.J. Choudhary, serving life imprisonment for murdering automobile dealer Krishan Sikand in the capital’s upscale Sunder Nagar neighbourhood in 1982.A bench comprising of Justices B.N. Chauturvedi and P.K. Bhasin dismissed Choudhary’s bail plea stating that they will hear his appeal first and will then decide on the bail issue.
Choudhary had earlier challenged his conviction, which is still to be heard by the court.
A city court had on May 4, 2008 awarded life imprisonment to Choudhary after convicting him under section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code as well as section 3 and 4 of the explosives act along with a fine of Rs.10,000.
The court had convicted Choudhary for sending a parcel bomb that killed Sikand Oct 2, 1982.
The CBI had said that Choudhary killed the victim Sikand because he was seeing the army officer’s wife and planned to marry her. The wife of the convicted officer was living separately and later made friends with the victim and moved into his house in Sunder Nagar here, the CBI had said.
The CBI had also alleged that the bomb (hand grenade) used in the murder was made in Pakistan and was seized by the Indian Army following its victory in the 1971 war.
- Sikand murder case: court acquits retired army officer - May 15, 2009
- Sikand murder case: court acquits retired army official (Lead) - May 15, 2009
- Sentencing in Sikand murder case Wednesday - Apr 29, 2008
- Sikand killing was not pre-planned, Choudhary tells court - May 23, 2008
- Sikand murder: Court defers sentence to ex-army officer - Apr 30, 2008
- Death penalty sought for parcel bomb murder convict - Jul 29, 2008
- Supreme Court rejects CBI plea to reopen Bhopal case (Second Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Window to appeal still open at Bhopal court: CBI - May 11, 2011
- Ex-army officer gets life term for Sikand murder - May 03, 2008
- Sikand murder case: Chronology of events - May 03, 2008
- Ex-army officer gets life term for 1982 murder (Lead) - May 03, 2008
- Supreme Court turns down CBI plea to reopen Bhopal case (Roundup) - May 11, 2011
- Delhi Police issued notice on Vikas Yadav's bail plea (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Sikand murder: army officer to be sentenced Saturday - May 02, 2008
- 2G scam: Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar move court for bail (Lead) - Sep 16, 2011