Sikand killing was not pre-planned, Choudhary tells courtMay 23rd, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Retired army officer S.J. Choudhary, sentenced to life for the murder of automobile dealer Krishan Sikand in 1982, Friday refuted charges that the murder was pre-planned and without provocation. Challenging his life sentence awarded by a trial court earlier this month, Lt. Col. (retd) Choudhary told the court: “There can be no bigger provocation for an army officer than to know that a man was keeping his wife before the grant of divorce.”
His petition challenging the sentence is likely to be heard Monday.
Additional Sessions Judge Mamta Sehgal last month held Choudhary, 72, guilty under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) as well as Sections 3 and 4 of the Explosives Act. He was also fined Rs.10,000.
The court convicted Choudhary for sending a parcel bomb that killed Sikand Oct 2, 1982, at his Sunder Nagar home.
According to the prosecution, Chaudhary was angry because his estranged wife had decided to move in with Sikand and the two had planned to get married.
The Central Bureau of Investigation had also alleged that the bomb used in the murder was made in Pakistan and seized by the Indian Army following its victory in the 1971 war.
After Choudhary was arrested and the charge-sheet was filed against him, the trial began May 31, 1984, and the process of recording evidence continued for 15 years.
- Sikand murder case: court acquits retired army official (Lead) - May 15, 2009
- Sikand murder case: court acquits retired army officer - May 15, 2009
- Sikand murder case: court dismisses bail plea of ex army officer - Sep 29, 2008
- Ex-army officer gets life term for Sikand murder - May 03, 2008
- Sikand murder: Court defers sentence to ex-army officer - Apr 30, 2008
- Sentencing in Sikand murder case Wednesday - Apr 29, 2008
- Ex-army officer gets life term for 1982 murder (Lead) - May 03, 2008
- Sikand murder: army officer to be sentenced Saturday - May 02, 2008
- SC directs fresh trial of Delhi 1997 blast accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Sikand murder case: Chronology of events - May 03, 2008
- Death penalty sought for parcel bomb murder convict - Jul 29, 2008
- Examine Aarushi murder witnesses by Sep 17, SC tells CBI (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ex-army officer gets 10 years jail for torturing son - Aug 04, 2012
- Nupur Talwar moves apex court for bail (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012